Reviews tagging 'Slavery'

The Anthropocene Reviewed, by John Green

mandaraffe's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

scruffie's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

I could hear John's voice in my head while reading this book. Simultaneously sad and anxious and hopeful, it felt very comforting to me; exactly what I needed right now. Medium-paced most of the time, but also slow-paced, on occasion.

Probably like others before me, I give the Anthropocene Reviewed five stars.

kimi72714's review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

This book pulled me out of my reading slump in the way that only the writing of John Green can do.

I knew many of the stories from Vlogbrothers videos, and so, even without the audiobook, John was reading aloud to me in my head.

This book made me cry laugh with lines like "But you do so much yoga!", and real laugh with lines like "I've read more books on Hamlet than parenting".

The pandemic is still going, and I'm still huddled inside my house to keep myself and my community safe, but this book reminded me how to fall in love with the world.

The wind is whipping around my house as a big weather front moves through, which is very common this time of year. But I can hear the kids next door squealing in delight as they play in their backyard, and I'm grateful for a connection to the wider world.

I give The Anthropocene Reviewed five stars.