Reviews tagging 'Medical content'

The Anthropocene Reviewed, by John Green

erosikessel's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

robynlynae's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 stars. Do I feel giddy giving this book of reviews a review? Yes. Do I feel hopeless in the pressure to review this book as eloquently as John Green reviews Diet Dr. Pepper or Sunsets? Yes. Alas, I will try my best.

This book was refreshingly vulnerable and raw. It amazes me how Green can relate the most mundane day-to-day things to great existential ponderings in a way that make me feel so big and so small at the same time. On the surface, these reviews seem unconnected and even whimsical, but underneath it all this was a conversation about humanity and the experiences and emotions that connect us all.

I read this book slower than I would normally read a book and I feel like that is the perfect way to enjoy it. The essays are short and easy to read but I often felt I needed to put the book down after only a few and think on them for a while. Green has a way of writing about big and small things so that they feel the opposite. Much of this book centers on Green's experiences with mental illness and I connected with those passages most profoundly. I really appreciate how he is able to make something in my life that is so big and overwhelming feel simple. My mental health, which I struggle with and can sometimes feel insurmountable, is something that Green is able to parse out and show that it is, in fact, surmountable. In his examples of feeling so alone, I felt less so. Depression and loneliness was made small. Whispers and a dog's belly turned big.

There is a sly wit and humor generously sprinkled throughout that add levity to each essay and there were several times where I laughed out loud. It was wonderfully cathartic and I would recommend it to anyone who struggles with mental health, feeling small in this big world, or feeling any sort of affection for geese.

katelynprice's review

emotional informative reflective medium-paced

redrosemoth's review

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

bookshelf_al's review

emotional hopeful informative reflective medium-paced

leefox's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

nosmallthing's review

informative inspiring reflective relaxing fast-paced

mandaraffe's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

rensreading's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

this one is definitely going to be in my top 5 books this year for sure.

there’s just something about talking about things so mundane but have had such a profound impact on your life that really unsettles you, just for a moment. part of it being mundane usually means its insignificant enough to not warrant much attention, but then there are moment where they mark so MANY points in our lives. from teddy bears to sunsets to a hot dog eating contest, green’s life has been touched by so much and he still has so many more experiences to make.

i’m not generally a fan of his other stuff because of the way mass consumption turned his works into romanticism of various mental illnesses and yet this was raw. he held nothing back. he opened himself up and discussed how these little things really affected him during the lowest and highest points of his life. that’s exceedingly brave. and he absolutely should get his flowers for this book.

this felt like a diary and a hug wrapped into one. i loved it.

5 stars! (: