Bicycles, by Nikki Giovanni

greeniezona's review

Appropriately, I bought this book on Valentine's Day, at the Book Mark in Mount Pleasant, killing time after our dinner at China Garden before it was time to pick up Jefferson from free child care at New Life church. Not only is it Nikki, but the cover called to me as a clear echo of her earlier collection, Love Poems, out in '97, which I discovered in college and was the true dawning of my love for her.

This book of poems is very much the same. The poet is a little older, a little wiser, but still joyful, still with a lust for life. Even in her most sorrowful poems, there is such love underneath the pain.

Not only do I adore Nikki, I want to be Nikki. I want to be able to react with such grace and such love. And of course, I'd love to be able to write about it so cleverly afterwords. And to bear up so cheekily under a love unrequited! Not for Nikki any stereotypical tearing of hair and rending of garments, but almost... merely, perplexion. That capability I envy, even if it turns out somehow it's faked....

keeganrb's review

reflective fast-paced

skoppelkam's review

Nikki Giovanni makes me want to grow old and live by myself in a house with lots of big sunshine-y windows and a huge garden and drink bottles of expensive red wine and maybe talk to people, maybe not, but mostly just wear AMAZING WHITE SUITS.

These love poems felt like they were largely love poems to solitude, to old age, to pleasure, and to enjoying one's own company. Pure joy.

mickified's review

Went to read one poem. Devoured this book. This collection is just the right amount of seeet, sly, and smile-inducing. My favorites: Deal Or No Deal, Why Don't You Kove Me, and Flight Delay.

i32505's review

Ms. Giovanni has such a way with being succinct. These poems have a haiku-esque feel to them.

ronurism's review

My favorite poems are
I am confused, I would not be different, I am a mirror, Fame and Boiled blues

lmurray74's review

Such gorgeous and light hearted poems. A ray of sunshine on any day.

ginnygriggs's review

This is so different from my normal styles that it took me quite a while to get into it. By the end, I loved it.

cmleejim's review

My only complaint about this collection is that it is too short. Here are my favorites:
The opening line 'Bicycles- because love requires trust and balance.'
'In Simpler Times'
'If Only'
'I am Confused'
'No Heaven'
'Alchemical'
'Good Night'
And finally 'No Translations'
Every poem was beautiful but these stood out to me.

walzstjrnl's review

I don’t really think it’s possible to give poetry a “stars rating.” That being said, I enjoyed these love poems! They reminded me that poetry can be simple, beautiful, and happy