I'm Thinking of Ending Things, by Iain Reid

wanderingwindy's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

I have sooo much to say about I’m Thinking of Ending Things, I don’t even know where to start.

I read Iain Reid’s FOE in 2019 and it was pretty f’d up so I was kinda’ prepared for this one to mess with my head (FOE is his 2nd novel, IToET is his first). If I had gone in completely blind I may have just tossed it out the freakin window by chapter 3 but I’m really glad I stuck it through.

I’m sorry-not-sorry to say that I can’t truly blurb about it because there’s just too much risk in spoilers.  The bottom line is that with Iain Reid, NOTHING IS AS IT SEEMS.  And even though I feel like the very last person to read it, I know it’s still on lots of TBR piles so 🤐

I also have to note that this novel screams Book Club!  I wish I had read it with someone because it definitely needs to be talked through.

sarcastic_watermelon's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

This is probably one of my favorite psychological thrillers ever. But the twist at the end was somehow expectedly unexpected? Like I knew there was going to be a big twist at the end in a similar context to what actually happened, but it still shocked me.

The story was so engrossing that I didn't realize the name of female narrator was never mentioned until 100 and something pages in. Which is basically more than half of the entire book. Weird.

So. This was creepy and disturbing. Automatically one of my favorites.
SpoilerAlthough if my nonexistent boyfriend ever tried to drive me to an empty high school in the middle of the night to throw away perfectly fine cold sugary drinks, I would end the relationship right there and then and run away. Not that that actually happened. But still.

birgiee's review against another edition

Doubting between 2 or 3 stars.

Not fully sure what I think about it. Unfortunately I got the ending spoiled before I read the book, and therefor my experience was different from what it could (should) have been. Ofcourse this is not the book's fault, but it nevertheless affected how i experienced the climax. Ending aside, i thought this book was 'okay'. I liked it untill they got at the school, from there on i realised I didn't care as much. Maybe my expectations were too high.

+ Uncomfortable feeling throughout the book
+ Narrator of the audiobook did a real good job.
+ Mysterious aspects (the dead animals, the parents, the school).
+ Some food for thought from the conversations between Jake and I-perspective
+ Switch of voices freaked me out a little (part where one line is repeated)
+ Almost the whole book is 'written' by Jake

- didn't really care for the characters
- whole thing at the school didn't catch my interest. At all.
- felt as if a lot of 'clues' given throughout the story, weren't mentioned or reflected upon at all in the end. (Of course, that's why the author suggests you read it again, but starting at the end).

Note. I probably would have cared more if I didn't know that the whole story was imagined by Jake. I can't say how i would have rated and experienced this book if I would not have known.

sawri03's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

mercyatbest's review against another edition

This felt like a big headache at the back of my mind and I loved it

jessisreadingbetweenthewines's review against another edition

A friend lent me this and I crushed it in less than an hour.
This book definitely has you wondering and theorizing from minutes one. I thought I'd figured out some important things by page 17 but then, at the end, the big reveal showed me I was only right about one small fact.
I enjoy thrillers that can keep me from really knowing what's happening until the author decides to tell me, which this did.
I've actually be trying to gravitate away from horror/thriller because I find I don't enjoy them as much as other genres, but this one isn't the super spine-chilling kind, it's more along the lines of a suspense that makes you really question every sentence you read.

readforempathy's review against another edition

I'm Thinking of Ending Thinks was one of the most engrossing books I have read in years. The way the book dives into the psychological state of Lucy and her crumbling relationship is well done. Highly recommend!

lasciamiquilasciamistare's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

Terrifying at times, which was refreshing for a book. But I heavily disliked the ending

twobatswithahat's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

achanceofsunny's review against another edition

3.99 stars bc a bit of a slow start and a very confusing ending but delightfully bizarre and unsettling