Reviews tagging Sexual assault

Wanderers, by Chuck Wendig

buck50's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

There’s a really fantastic story here. Unfortunately it’s buried under some really awful and ultimately pointless subplots. The core medical mystery and characters are really written- it’s tense, it’s weird, you can feel the characters grasping at straws to figure out what is happening.

BUT: there’s an entire hackneyed subplot about a pastor and his family, and a violent militia and its leader and its just… awful. The story grinds to a halt every time Matthew and Ozark are the subject. They really don’t add anything and Mathew the character is a cliche, his story arc is a cliche and he’s just 100% unlikeable. Ozark is supposedly a racist Hoosier drug dealer but clearly the author has never been to Indiana. His dialogue is also cliche, his violence utterly gratuitous- do we really need
Spoiler a graphic description of Ozark raping Mathew?
or honestly any of the other violence? It’s not like I’m against reading about violence it’s more that, we get it- Ozark and his crew are violent people. We don’t need more descriptions.

The ending is… meh. Because it’s been over complicated with a huge racist militia subplot the ending is just overly complicated and over wrought.

We suddenly learn things at the very end of the book that were mentioned in passing very early in the book, and we are meant to feel like this is exposition that changes everything.

A good editor could have cut this in half and turned it into one really good medical horror story and one cliche preacher and evil story. But instead what you get is an imitation of Steven king without the charm.

frozencusser's review against another edition

Anal rape with gun oil in a plot device that has nothing to do with the sci-fi part of it.

qwerty88's review against another edition

dark hopeful mysterious sad tense fast-paced

SpoilerPerson of Interest meets The Stand

sealsea88's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

1.5

I will preface this by saying this made my Worst Book List - of which I think there's been maybe 5 in my 30+ years of life. This book tried to be too many things and because it tried to be too much, it failed to be the most important thing which is good. I typically would have given up on a book of this length but it held promise up until the last 250ish pages. If you're reading this and aren't at that threshold yet, bail out now.

I did enjoy that this was a twist on the traditional zombie trope, the characters in the novel are referred to as the Walkers, and they appear to be sleepwalking. Things begin small, just a few walkers, but as they begin walking westward more and more Walkers join and our character list begins to swell.

If you're looking for an end of the world kind of book, Justin Cronin's The Passage does end of the world way better, and leaves you with characters that you actually care about. I barely remember the names of the main characters in this novel because the cast list was so swollen by the end.

SpoilerThis book tried to be a commentary on the Trump Presidency (for perspective I read this in March of 2021), a pandemic story/mystery of the start of the disease, a HAL 2001: A Space Odyssey-machine-takes-over robot horror story, and the world ends and we start over all in one book that wasn't 1,000 pages. You cannot do justice to all of those storylines in just 782 pages (paperback version). This book also included a rape scene which I feel was used solely for shock value (in the story it is used as a means of torture, degradation, and control) which would have been enough to make my WBL.(/spoiler>

jenny_d's review against another edition

dark sad tense slow-paced

Man... this book could have been a LOT shorter. Lots of repetitive phrases. A few characters that could have been entirely left out, like Pete, without changing the story at all.
SpoilerI feel like the rape scene in the bunker could have been a fade-to-black kind of thing instead.
There were parts of the story that were pretty good, but by the time I was two thirds of the way through I had lost a lot of interest in the story. It felt like a slog after that. Plus there were so many things about it that were way too squicky for me .

demiwriter's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense slow-paced

thejessleigh's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I've seen this novel billed online as "The Stand for the Trump Era" and while I usually roll my eyes at the "X but Y" formula for markeeting books, this one pretty well nails it. I loved this book. Sometimes I'm not totally sold on books that have a ton of different perspectives since some come out less well developed than others, but the length of the novel is an advantage here, since each perspective character is given a lot of breathing room. I really grew to care about the cast, and I genuinely did not see some of the twists coming, which is pretty rare for me.