Wanderers, by Chuck Wendig

acrossley's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense slow-paced

emilycombs's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark funny mysterious tense slow-paced

stoutla19's review against another edition

Wow..800 pages and I want more! Cannot wait to see what happens next

asola320's review

Parts I enjoyed and parts I struggled with...

1. I feel like at the very least Benji would have asked why the flock was only in the US, especially once he learned that the flock was designed to survive. But he never did. It was just randomly explained to him
2. I feel like the Michael character was useless. We could have gathered Ozark was bad without him, and the flock could have been warned by so many other people.
3. Marcy was also pretty useless except that she could feel the swarm and tipped Benji to something more going on - but even so, I think she was fairly useless. Especially the first moments with her when she is being abused for her injuries and subsequent handicap.
4. It also bothered me that Benji at the very least would never have thought that at least some part of the population would be immune. Doesn't like every disease have at least some people with natural immunity?
5. Pete was pretty useless too. All he did was bring fame to the flock that was already gaining fame.
6. Why does like no apocalypse type story think about the people on the International Space Station? What happens to them!? This isn't really the book's fault I guess, just me thinking too much.

But, I do like that Black Swan was manipulating people for everlasting godliness. I feel like the entity could have done it in different ways, but ok this is the way the super computer chose. It was an interesting motivator behind all of it. What was the plan if Shana never got pregnant though? Was there going to be someone else designated to be the conduit of the "holy spirit" if you will?

I'm possibly left with too many questions here.

cyclical's review against another edition

It reminds me of The Stand. For as long of a book as it is there should’ve been something that grabbed and held my interest but there just wasn’t.

jupitershallemerge's review against another edition

this was a big one but i really enjoyed it.
4.25/5
i loved the characters and even though they were many, they were well written, a good variety of them so they are easily memorable and not have them confused.
i was so very well impressed how every step of the book and chapter by chapter i felt held in and the pace of the book was really good, in my opinion.
the open end, for me worked very well. it was balanced and i found reason in it.
over all, it was a great journey, even though somewhat scary to read during a covid pandemic

jennalyns's review against another edition

Holy shit so good

daejmonet's review against another edition

This one was a difficult one to get through. I only have myself to blame though, for starting a book about a global pandemic...in the middle of a global pandemic. I found that in certain moods, it fed my anxiety. Despite that, I really enjoyed this read. It was a slow start as the main plot was established, but as the pieces fell together I realized it built really well. Midway through I was hooked and finished the last 400 pages in a third of the time it took to read the first. It's one of those books that was rich in social, political and cultural topics and it was almost unsettling how similar it is to what we're currently experiencing in 2020. (When I say rich, I mean just completely saturated) Normally, books like this would be too preachy for me, too "on-the-nose," but this was tastefully done. I want everyone to read this so they can grasp the gravity/reality of our situation, specifically in relation to human lives movements, global warming, political leaders, and AI. Honestly, Wendig is a genius. Kudos, man.

angrywombat's review against another edition

This is "[b:The Stand|149267|The Stand|Stephen King|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1213131305l/149267._SX50_.jpg|1742269]" but much better :)

Yes, there is the end of the world as we know it - but this focuses very strongly on the descent... what happens to all these poor sods as the world circles the drain...

Basically - some people start to "sleepwalk" - they just get up and wander off - but they all join together! You have this little flock of sleepwalkers, and some of their loved ones follow along to take care of them...

But as this happens, people start to get sick and die... and the crazies come out of the woodwork...

So like the stand, and [b:Lucifer's Hammer|218467|Lucifer's Hammer|Larry Niven|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1388268115l/218467._SY75_.jpg|1842237], and other apocalyptic stories, this is more about the people who try to survive and protect those they love while the world goes to hell in a handbasket.

Yeah its a big book... but i wouldn't call it long - there were bits where the author shot ahead or skipped parts that I would have loved to read in detail (which I guess is a good sign?)

I really liked this book, and if you like apocalyptic fiction of a more sci-fi bent, then give this a read!

renee_pompeii's review against another edition

Started off well but in the end was a slog to finish. Too long, often melodramatic (but not in a good way). Some decent characters (Cassie), but good god the rockstar guy (Pete) was just awful. It was like he was trying to cram in every modern trope to make the book of the time...to ill effect. Anyone who says this is like The Stand is crazy, though I can see that was where he reaaaaaally wanted it to go.