Caraval, by Stephanie Garber

peachipanic's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious tense medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

Spoiler I kinda have mixed feelings. I didn't super love the first like 2/3rds of this story, BUT those last 100 pages! The layers upon layers that were peeled back, and how Tella ended up being in on the game the whole time. . . .I'm a little worried about reading the rest of the series.

rosbooks's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

I really enjoyed it - the world was really cool, I'd love to visit Caraval, the characters were interesting and I was interested in learning about them. The concept of the book was really cool but at times it was a bit confusing. I did really like it though and brought the next 2 books :)

malunobrega's review against another edition

Man, I was so confused through the whole book. People died and were tortured and Scarlett didn't even care. And I thought this was only going to be a alone book, but now I discovered it's a series. Like uaat. I wasn't ready for that.

Sorry, but I don't like Tella. Everyone thinks she's like an angel because she succeeded in her plan, but we forget all the sorrow and loss that she made Scarlett pass through. If I were Scarlett, I would throw that on my sister's face. This isn't a game for Scarlett – her sister made her think that she and Julian were freaking dead. I would go like real mad if that happened to me.

And don't you think that she forgave Julian too soon? I don't know...

Well, besides that, man I loved it. Like all the comparison with the stars and colors made me really enjoy the writing. It was so... passionate. I really liked it: the paying with secrets, only going out at night and all the light.

Really nice.

brianna3739's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

marcela_bd's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

queenofhistoricalfiction's review against another edition

4.5/5 stars.

This was a deliciously dark read that was so reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. The descriptions were beautifully detailed and the plot had me guessing to the end, but unfortunately, the bubble of illusion popped at the very end. All the magic seemed to disappear with the dawning of the day. Which is why I had to knock a half star off. It had so much promise and intrigue, but towards the end the explanations weighed it down and brought on disillusionment. But I will certainly continue with this dangerous delight and cannot wait to see what will happen next in Legendary.

goandbetori's review against another edition

I READ THIS IN ONLY AN AFTERNOON. Now, if that isn't magic, I don't know what is...

I sat down to read a few chapters and before I knew it, I'd flipped through all 400 pages in the span of a few hours. Like, I'm actually concerned, because the subject matter of the book is all about facades and sucking you in.

I was swept away. I'll admit it.

The plot was incredibly mind-bending. I'm pretty sure I shouted "NOOOOO!!" a total of 23 times over the course of the book. And certain parts had me actually afraid. Not because there's any sense of horror, but simply a fear that I didn't know who to trust and this book was gonna be the death of me.

I loved Scarlett's journey as a character. I loved her relationship with her sister, as flawed as it was (and thus more realistic, if we're honest here). I loved the atmosphere of the book itself, the way the author described Caraval with such wonder, and how the plot left me guessing at every turn.

What I didn't like: Julian's character, because I frankly don't even know what that would be. He just didn't really have much of a personality outside of being the supposed love interest. Also, the love story itself was basically all based on sexual tension and unprecedented acts of kindness, ending with the "you're not like other girls" vibe, which could be argued for but just wasn't my cup of tea.

However, the twists and turns of this story are verrrry worth it. If not for the above reasons, it would have been an easy 5 stars. Nevertheless, this is an EXCELLENT read if you want to be swept away for a few hours and lost in the intriguing fantasy world Stephanie Garber has created.

I'm excited to get my hands on the next one!

hsmlynch's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

nabillasabrii's review against another edition

Scarlett diawal cerita menurut aku tokoh yang menarik karena lebih banyak karakter seperti tella di fantasy, berpikir bagaimana cara seorang scarlett gadis yg selalu digaris aman harus menyelamatkan adiknya cukup menarik untuk dibaca

tapi dipertengahan scarlett agak menyebalkan dan tella okay gak terlalu menonjol selain keras kepalanya, untuk legend masih misteri hingga akhir

kisah scarlett-julian cukup untuk bumbu romannya kemungkinan besar aku gak akan baca legendary karena cukup puas dengan endingnya dan juga karena aku gak bisa menyukai karakter tella?