jzemrak's review against another edition

Always love a Harlan Coben book! Perfect quick mystery that hooks me into the characters and how it will all come together!

lisa01's review against another edition

Gives a little more insight into ole Myron

scwmoore's review against another edition

A little convoluted and confusing, but still a good, solid mystery novel. I wish it had been a little easier to follow, but I was a bit distracted yesterday. Lots of characters, also helped with my confusion.
3 stars.

——————
2nd reading, 9-15-2020

Not anywhere near so convoluted or confusing, this time around. Still a very good, solid mystery novel, that may even make you tear up a little. I enjoyed this audiobook very much, this time around.
Jonathan Marosz is the narrator for this series of audiobooks, which includes this one. To me, he sounds like (and will always sound like) Myron Bolitar.

Rating changed to 4 stars, and highly recommend.

usualk's review against another edition

Twist of finding out Stan Gibs was the marrow was clever but guessable. Subsequent twist of later finding out Stan murdered his girlfriend was a much less predicable surprise. Touché, Coben.

tarablythe's review against another edition

I always like Harlan Coben's books, that Myron Bolitar is just one funny dude. I liked this one overall, but I was really confused when the ending was revealed. I had a little bit of trouble following the logic of Myron in figuring out who the killer was - maybe I missed something in turning the pages so fast. Either way, I liked this one and am looking forward to reading more Myron!

booksuperpower's review against another edition

Darkest Fear by Harlan Coben is a 2008 Dell publication. (Originally published in 1999)

Just when I think I have Coben’s style figured out, he switches gears in this seventh installment of the Myron Bolitar series.
If you have read the previous installments, you will remember Emily. (Not exactly my favorite person) Well, she’s back and has brought some shocking news to Myron, which causes him to launch a massive manhunt for a registered bone marrow donor.

The tone of this story was grim right from the start, and is taut with a ‘race against the clock’, life or death situation, while delving into some pretty deep emotional wells. The humor is still mingled into the story, but was a bit muted this time around, which was probably more fitting considering the circumstances.
I have to confess, this one was not my favorite of the series, but is still a very compelling thriller, and did close the door on some issues, while opening up other avenues, expanding the possibilities for this series.

Overall 3.5 rounded to 4

bjerz's review against another edition

Ah, life is good. I just bought four more Myron Bolitar books and, wait, I already finished one! Just like Lays potato chips. Can't eat just one.

That being said, Myron is still funny, still poignant, still determined and still surrounded by a great cast of characters. This time, Myron's world is about to explode, 'like a ripe tomato under a stiletto heal,' as he confronts his parent's mortality and his own past poor choices. Despite doing things he isn't proud of, he solves the mystery, brings down the bad guys and saves a child.

jennievh's review against another edition

Good interesting good plot twists

But not his best, I think.

jennutley's review against another edition

More potato chips . . .

Another solid offering. Would be great as a road trip book. I will probably read more of these. They kind of remind me of Robin Cook. You always know what you are getting. You can count on it to be fun. And later on, when you look at a row of these books on the shelves, you will never be able to remember which ones you've already read.

ericwelch's review against another edition

Myron Bolitar is one of my favorite characters. The series has a fine sense of humor laced with a good mystery. The beginning starts off well with Myron trying to be nice to his mother, a lawyer who never, ever cooks, but who has just turned out a pastry that Myron thinks tastes just like urinal cakes.

In this novel, Coben mixes the serious with levity. He is contacted by an ex-girlfriend who had ultimately married his arch rival on the basketball court and whom he blames for his career-destroying knee injury. It seems her son has a life-threatening disease that can only be cured with a bone marrow transplant and the one match in the registry has disappeared. She wants Myron to find the donor and save her son’s life. From there it gets really complicated mixing a serial killer with a discredited journalist whose being staked out by the FBI and a very rich family who has a secret they refuse to reveal.

Coben ties it together very nicely, but I sometimes wonder if the excellent narration by Jonathan Marosz doesn’t make the difference between 3 and 4 stars.