Calamity Jack, by Shannon Hale, Dean Hale, Nathan Hale

jmanchester0's review against another edition

Enjoyable follow-up to [b:Rapunzel's Revenge|2626492|Rapunzel's Revenge (Rapunzel's Revenge, #1)|Shannon Hale|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1421704442s/2626492.jpg|2651193].

barefootsong's review against another edition

A fun addition to Rapunzel's Revenge! I loved the steampunk elements of the city, and poor Freddie's exuberance, and it was great to get Jack's backstory.

raegiff's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this graphic novel and was glad that I picked it up at the book signing last week.

rjlee89's review against another edition

This was a fun continuation of Rapunzel's Revenge, but now, the western/American Indian-esque version of Jack and the Beanstalk. Fantastic rendition and kind of wish there was another in the series, but not for now.

theartolater's review against another edition

Rapunzel was a reread for me in anticipation of Calamity Jack, which tells the story of bad guy turned good Jack (of the Beanstalk fame). Rapunzel is still awesome, using her hair as whips, and the two pretty much take on the evil city government of giants. It’s silly, awesome fun. Really great.

absentminded_reader's review against another edition

I really enjoyed Nathan Hale’s illustrations in this sequel to Rapunzel’s Revenge. What a lot of work. Nathan’s lighthearted art never let the story forget that it was intended for children despite the gruesome elements in it. Shannon & Dean took the characters and let them grow up some more, this time focusing on Jack. They introduced us to Jack the rascal, and let us see his path of redemption.

The dialog was witty, the plot fast paced, and my 11 year old ate up every page of it. My only complaint was that the humor was sometimes slight compared with the seriousness of the subject matter. Perhaps a bit too farcical at times. Overall, though, Calamity Jack was an excellent sequel to the series.

mjmbecky's review

Following up Rapunzel's Revenge, we get the back story on Rapunzel's friend, side-kick, and love interest Jack. Patterned after Jack in the Beanstalk, but only slightly, Jack tried to save his family by playing a type of Robin Hood character in planting a beanstalk to reach the top of the skyscraper owned by the evil rich guy who pretty much owned the city. In the process, Jack causes a lot of trouble and does more damage than good. That's when he supposedly left and had his adventure with Rapunzel, who he brings back with him to his home city to try to repair the wrongs and damages he has caused. In short, Jack must save the day, and win over the girl with his amazing, heroic prowess!

This was a cute follow up to the first graphic novel, and tied the characters together nicely. As a newcomer to graphic novels, I will admit to not quite following the myriad of creatures and characters that popped up in this second installment. Some of the adventures made my head spin a bit, and I wondered how all of the characters and story lines would pull together. I recognize though, that as an adult reader, I might have missed the playfulness of the graphic novel format by being too caught up on the storyline. It is obvious that young readers and fans of comic adventures would find Calamity Jack great fun to read. In fact, there's no way we could say this novel was boring at all. Although I struggled to always follow all of the action going on, a younger reader or fan would love its storyline and engaging artwork.

mkoretz's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

katiegrrrl's review against another edition

Calamity Jack is a follow-up to the Graphic retelling of Rapunzel. This is a retelling of Jack in the Beanstalk, with Rapunzel along to fix Jack's plans that always go astray. Jack was forced to run away from home after stealing the golden goose from the Giant. He returns with Rapuzel and a case of golden eggs to help his mother rebuild her bakery that he destroyed in the heist on the Giant's home. He finds out the Giant is up to no good.

holtfan's review against another edition

Cute! Not as good as the first book, but very cute.