The Idiot by Elif Batuman

lidiaadiaz's review against another edition

reflective sad slow-paced

tati23's review

lighthearted medium-paced

heartshapedness's review

// "I felt every level, graphemic, morphological, and semantic, and they all hurt."

a novel marked by the ruminations of a potentially autistic woman who is majoring in linguistics at harvard, the idiot gave me the gift of a protagonist who i deeply related with. elif batuman has a wonderful way with words, especially when it came to providing us with the perspective of selin (the protagonist). i had read that this novel was in small part autobiographical, which makes sense because of how personal and intimate selin's contemplative inner monologues seemed. i also thought that selin's sentiments during the first year at university was highly reflective of my own similar experience of winding up at a highly competitive college and not being able to cement many close connections, resorting to writing and navel-gazing.

i do, however, feel that this novel is for a certain type of reader- specifically the kind who don't mind a plot that doesn't have events of epic proportions, as the main focus is on the inner contemplations of the protagonist and the pensive (and sometimes lighthearted) conversations she has with the other characters.

lullu's review

luciiiii's review

a bit weird but enjoyed. Ending was not very satisfactory but also how is anyone ever supposed to finish a book. i liked it’s plot and the thoughts were very random but in an interesting wY that was very compelling

indralena's review against another edition

reflective slow-paced

georgianealeeee's review against another edition

emotional funny mysterious reflective sad slow-paced

this took me so long to read and will take me a long time to really think about i think. i get it, some parts really struck me and i get what the author was trying to do with this book. didn’t hate it but didn’t love it, maybe i’ll change my mind as i think more about it i’m not sure.

mikaelafs's review

dnf at 44%… no plot OR vibes

silveryrain's review

informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

tarcro's review against another edition

The first half was drawn out and boring, but the second half saved it. It took me months to pick The Idiot back up after moving onto something else for a while. Once I did I got to a point where it was finally interesting (about the point where Selin and Ivan finally get together in person) and then I flew through the rest of the book.

I hope something actually happens between Selin and Ivan in Either/Or!!!