Saving Ruby King, by Catherine Adel West

mugginsbooks's review

Betrayal, trauma, racism, family secrets, abuse, murder, and friendship this book has it all.

Saving Ruby King takes us on an emotional journey set in South Chicago. During this journey we meet multiple POVs, which can seem a little overwhelming at times, but West does an fantastic job giving them each their own voice, their own piece to the puzzle. Shes able to tie them together in a way that makes them a necessity to the story being told.

I will admit that I found this book to be a little slow at times, but I think it needs to be. If it was a fast paced twisty thrill ride I don't think it would have worked as well. In the end this book was the perfect pace. Sometimes its nice to allow a book to tell you the story, to let it really sink in.

I really enjoyed this novel. I have a hard time believing this was Catherines Adel West's debut novel.

amandasbookreview's review

Thank you NetGalley, Catherine Adel West, and Harlequin Trade Publishing for the opportunity to read this book!

Saving Ruby King is a poignant debut novel by Catherine Adel West. It is difficult to decide where to begin with this story, I could never do it justice in a brief synopsis. So let’s start with Alice King. Alice King is married to Lebanon King and they have a daughter named Ruby. Lebanon is abusive to both mother and daughter. Alice does her best to keep it under wraps, meanwhile, her daughter’s anger grows. Ruby is also best friends with Layla Potter, the daughter of Pastor Jackson Potter. Pastor Jackson and Lebanon’s past are deeply intertwined in ways no one can expect. When a murder occurs, Ruby is in danger and Layla will stop at nothing to help her. Secrets are discovered that have affected these families for generations.

“Forever and to the end. That’s what they say instead of I love you.”

SAVING RUBY KING
This book is a MUST read! It is emotional and feels deeply personal for the author. Yes, there is mystery but it is about friendship, faith, and family. I was hooked from the very beginning. There are multiple points of view crossing over timelines but that didn’t bother me. I felt that it flowed beautifully and shifted timelines in just the right moment. One of the points of view is the church. Not a person or persons, but a building. I felt that this aspect is so unique and quite powerful. The building is a witness, specifically to some of the events that will change the lives of generations.

The family relationships are extremely complex in this story. There is love. There is hate. There is misunderstanding. I want to dive into these complexities, but that would reveal so many spoilers. My favorite aspect is the friendships. Loyalty and doing anything for a friend shines in this story. Ruby is troubled, but Layla will not leave her side. Their friendship made me cry more than once. But the loyalty in friendships span generations as well…but again, spoilers. So I shall refrain.

The author goes into the racial divide in Chicago. The hardships that the Black community face are very real and she describes it so vividly. You just really need to read this book for yourself. I loved every aspect of this book. It is thought-provoking and deeply emotional. I will now eagerly await her next book. 5 perfect stars for Saving Ruby King.

emmalou13's review

emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

mi3sons1's review

emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

kathrynreadsalot's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced