Girls of Fate and Fury, by Natasha Ngan

karenromeijn's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

ladygreybooks's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

starfaerie's review against another edition

My stars! How I loved this book and this trilogy. I didn't expect to fall so hard in love with all the characters. Lei, Wren, and all the other girls. I have never met girls so fierce and badass and beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed reading their journey of recovery and growth. Their hilarious shenanigans, the everlasting friendships, and the true love. I was awed by the sheer force of strength these characters can carry. I'm sad to part with them and their world, but it was a good one. ❤️‍

ccleeds7's review against another edition

Girls of Paper and Fire was one of my favorite books of 2017. It really helped cement my love for Asian-based YA fantasy novels. At the time, I hadn't realized it was going to be a trilogy. I would definitely say that the first novel in the trilogy was the best, but I enjoyed all three of them.

Girls of Fate and Fury has such a beautiful title and cover art, I can hardly stand it. The stakes were high: Lei has been taken prisoner by the Demon King. Wren is trying to find more information on Lei to lead a rescue and information on the palace to attack it, and is struggling to lead when her father Ketai and one of his generals are also leading the attack.

To be honest, I was disappointed that the Paper Girls suffered so little when they were at the palace. I expected it to be much worse, and while it makes sense that the King would be somewhat afraid of Lei given that she tried to kill him and he's horribly scarred from the attack, but it seemed odd that he didn't try to assert his power more over them, especially Lei. Particularly Lei. The book was also not fast-paced. Girls of Paper and Fire I couldn't put down. With both Girls of Storm and Shadows and Girls of Fate and Fury, I was able to put down the book. The pacing didn't need to be fast (GOPAF wasn't), but it can still be a quick read even if it's not non-stop action. The emotional journey can really propel the story, and there just wasn't enough of it propelling the plot and action for me to not to put the book down or for me to rate it 5 stars.

I enjoyed having chapters from Wren's perspective, and I thought the choice for Wren's chapters to be first-person pov and Wren's to be third-person pov. I loved Lova and Nitta. I loved Chenna to pieces. The action moved quickly, when there was action. There was a lot of sitting around, which doesn't bother me if there's emotional and foil interactions with the characters. And there just wasnt a ton of that. Lova was hilarious. Nitta was both hilarious and sweet. I liked that Wren was really questioning her past actions and reevaluating her morals and what she was willing to do and not do. The writing was so good, and I love Natasha Ngan's writing style. There just wasn't a ton of stuff always propelling the story forward - it seemed to come in spurts. But regardless, it was a well-written with gorgeous prose with characters I loved and I loved the ending. In the end, it was a satisfying read for me and for the end of the trilogy.

One of my major complaints about the series is that I have trouble picturing what the Steel and Moon people look like, and what the differences between the two are. It would have amazing if character art had been included in the books, or at least supplementary material online that the publisher would provide.

The ending was heartbreaking and satisfying and hopeful. I loved what the palace became. I wish we had a bit more resolution as to what Wren's role was afterwards, but I still loved the ending. I always recommend this series to my friends.

mempereur's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

dododenise's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional slow-paced

I can’t even pinpoint where it went wrong. I just wasn’t engaged in the book at all. Not the characters, relationships or plot.
It deals with the topics it addresses well, yet somehow nothing really touches me. It’s a shame, really.

coflan's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful sad tense fast-paced

wirt's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful medium-paced

I can only say I think this was a fitting end for this trilogy, and I'm glad to have read it.

iida_anniina's review against another edition

adventurous dark hopeful informative tense

heatherofbooks's review against another edition

fast-paced