Mexican Gothic, by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

silkcaramel's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

brookey8888's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

This starts out slow, but I was interested in what was going on the whole time. I really loved Our main character she made me laugh. Also there’s a romance which obviously isn’t the main plot but I’m a sucker for it. I also like some of the topics/themes discussed in this as well. I wasn’t scared or grossed out tbh but I still enjoyed this.

jillianwilliams05's review against another edition

How is this so popular? I regret having read this. The story started off so strong, but quickly took a turn for the worse. The whole second half of the book felt like a fever dream and not in a good way.

snickersxx's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

brandibell's review against another edition

I wanted to like this more. It was creepy and I couldn’t read it before bed but the end was just kind of... blah? It was lacking something. Maybe if Catalina had more depth or she hadn’t described Francis as “plain” 40 times over. Virgil was a good villain. I think the characters just needed more. The mystery was good and the reveal was good too but it just wasn’t enough.

cowgirlcutie's review against another edition

Wow. A journey to liberation. This book brought me to tears.

madilynngrace06's review against another edition

DNF— Nothing particularly Mexican or gothic about Mexican Gothic. 2 stars solely for the interesting premise.

melodyj's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

This was definitely not what I expected, it honestly completely caught me off guard. The only reason it’s 4 stars instead of 5 is because the beginning was a little slow for me. Took a while for me to get into.
Extremely unique story line and honestly think it had the perfect ending.

rhymeswithtonic's review against another edition

Once I got to the reveals in the book I thought for sure I'd give it 3 stars, but now that I'm done I'm rounding up. The first 2/3 of this book were so eerie and atmospheric, which I LOVED. Solid 4 stars there. Lots of questions and mysteries. The last 1/3 was a weird wild ride. I mean WEIRD. But by the time I got to the end I ended up really enjoying it, even though I almost never read scary books.

I wouldn't even call it scary. The scariest parts to me were the threats of sexual assault, and a couple short scenes of actual assault (not very graphic.) It also does get a bit violent at the very end, but I'm a wimp, so if I can take it it's probably not that bad.

Glad I got another spoopy book in before Halloween!

mhillsdon's review against another edition

The set up is great. Super creepy.

And then the twist hit…and I’m not sure how I felt about it.