The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

alittleoverdue's review

My dad read this book to me as a kid and I loved it. I had the best time re-reading it as an adult - remembering parts of the dialogue I knew by heart and enjoying the social satire bits that don't always register when you're a kid. A classic!

souissi19's review

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

Quotes : " He had discovered a great law of human action , without knowing it namely ,  that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing , it is only necessary to make the thing hard to obtain.
* Tom: Well everybody does it that way Huck
Huck: "Tom , i am not everybody"

gfisher1's review

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing tense medium-paced

gingerliss's review against another edition

This is one of those classics I've had on my bookshelf since I was 7 years old but never have actually given it the full chance. I'm guessing I probably tried it a couple of times as a kid but probably found myself putting it down again not being able to get past the slang. Now more than 10 years later I have finally picked it up and finished it. I must say I still found it difficult in the beginning to get past the slang words, but after a couple of chapters I got used to it and started thoroughly enjoying it. I liked the way Mark Twain goes into the emotions of Tom and others so deeply, because if this I wouldn't necessarily call it a children's book either, I don't think a lot of children would understand the depth of the emotions he goes into. The children's part of the book are the adventures, which even now are a pleasure to read, as an avid Famous Five reader when was young, it was nice to go back to that with Tom Sawyer. A surprisingly good read I must say.

wooknight's review

A delightful story of children growing up in a small picturesque village with unusual adventures.
Mental models that I thought in this book.
Scarcity - when Tom Sawyer makes the painting of the fence to be a scarce resource and a desirable resource that makes the boys want to do that.
Money makes you popular - when Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn end up finding the treasure, everybody hangs on to their every word as though it were gospel .
Jealousy- Tom and Becky
The need to belong - Huck giving up his freedom so he can belong to Tom’s gang when grown up

kelebekd's review

adventurous funny lighthearted tense fast-paced

davidaguilarrodriguez's review

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

eviejo_07's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

_ash0_'s review against another edition

Witty, funny and interesting. Really enjoyed reading this book. My favourite part was the whitewashed fence and their stay in that island pretending to be pirates. Both these scenes had me laughing. It was really unputdownable at least for me. Once I started reading it, I did not feel like keeping it aside for even a minute.
I like the names that Tom comes up with - " Tom Sawyer, the Black Avenger of the Spanish Main, Huck-Finn the Red-Handed and Joe Harper the Terror of the Seas".

In order to make a man or a boy to covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain.

There was this racist dialogue that I did not like much though - When you talked about notching ears and slitting noses I judged that that was your own embellishment because white men don't take that sort of revenge.
Probably when he wrote the book, the society was full of racism, but still that line was unwarranted in such a great book (just my opinion).

mingchau's review against another edition

Mình đã đọc quyển của Huckleberry Finn trước rồi mới đọc quyển của Tom. Có thể nói 2 quyển đều có màu sắc khác nhau. Ở Finn vừa là sự hoang dã, vừa là thiếu thốn tình cảm gđ. Còn Tom là sự tinh ranh mà lại hiểu chuyện đến ngạc nhiên. Tuy thường ngày cậu rất láu cá, rất nghịch ngợm. Đôi khi chính sự tinh ranh lại gây nhiều rắc rối và hậu quả nghiêm trọng tới người xung quanh. Nhưng cậu k phải người k biết nghĩ, trái lại là 1 người thấu hiểu mọi việc.
Đọc cuốn này và Finn rất chill, rcm mng nhé.