The Switch, by Beth O'Leary

sbc127's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

morganmou's review against another edition

Rom/com/grief themes. Easy to digest, female strength, easy to read, book. I liked the perspective provided by the grandmother and how great she is. Listened to it on audiobook.

betcei's review against another edition

Another fun book from Beth O'Leary! Listening to it on audio was a delight also because the narrator brought the story to life with her variety of voices. Would you ever switch your entire life, even for a few months to see what might be out there for you? Eileen and her grandaughter Lena do when Lena loses her job in London.

I listened to this book as an ARC from NetGalley

massivepizzacrust's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

This was such a cozy read. Although the stakes are kind of high, I never really felt like there was any danger of things not working out - but in a good way. I think, as is usual with multiple povs that have separate plots, there isn't really a lot of time to get very complicated with any single one of them. There are hurdles along the way but both characters quickly overcome all of them. The love stories were cute and I was satisfied with the ending. I even got a little teary in the epilogue, thinking about the loved ones I've lost and the influence they have on me.

suexstories's review against another edition

this was incredibly WHOLESOME!
But there was something missing and at times it does fall a bit flat, in terms of plot, it was a bit slow.

The story follows Leena a 28-year-old businesswoman working in the hustle and bustling city, one day Leena is asked to go on a 2 month paid leave from work, where she decides to switch places with her grandma Eileen, a 79-year-old extroverted badass trying to find the love of her life after her husband walks out on her. To do this, they switch homes and Leena moves to Yorkshire a small town, taking over all her grandma's to-do list around the neighborhood.

Let's start with the PROS:
-Love the grandma and granddaughter relationship so much, since I rarely see it done it books, it's super endearing.
-Leena's moments with Arnold (the grumpy neighbor)
- Hank the dog moments (i wish there were more)
-Cute romance moments (but there were barely any)
- Love the neighborhood's sense of community
CONS:
-Not enough romance plotline, if there were more cute moments maybe the pacing would be better
- Didn't care for the mother-daughter relationship in this one since they were never seen together
- I literally fell asleep and woke up without missing much
- Poor pacing
-Predictable, you can definitely figure out who ends up with who around midway through

bookishlindsey's review against another edition

this was so cute!! i love my grandmas so much, so this really made my heart happy. this book was primarily about their experiences through grieving and finding yourself, and there were some great moments of friendship and romance sprinkled throughout. an adorable book!

emsems01's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

kim_s96's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

martina_eleni's review against another edition

adventurous emotional relaxing medium-paced

anaknien's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful reflective fast-paced