Persuasion, by Jane Austen

So good

cheprintsmagic's review

cateyackerman's review

funny lighthearted reflective medium-paced

lucidalumina's review against another edition

hopeful reflective medium-paced

this is my fourth read of persuasion and i think the first time i'm giving it 5*, i just really really loved it this time and i think a lot of that's because i now have a physical copy that i fully tabbed! i can't wait to read it for the fifth time and lose my mind annotating it

outersgrace's review

funny lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

lying on my bed kicking my feet in glee - this is what this book did to me. jane austen just hits every time. i always doubt it in the first 50 odd pages cuz she is a slow starter w all her set up and character introductions of miss this sir that captain this and they all blend together for a bit. but then suddenly, where i was once willing myself to turn every page i find myself flying through and unable to put it down. it was the same with this book.

i never knew i liked second-chance romance but this book showed me i most definitely DO my god. i was underlining shit all over the place, but there were a few specific passages that just hit:

Spoiler
“Once so much to each other! Now nothing!…Now they were as strangers; nay, worse than strangers, for they could never become acquainted. It was a perpetual estrangement”p.12

like i’m sorry miss austen WHAT? OW.

and then the progression to this letter kills me off.

“I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul (SCREAMS). I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own, than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone I think and plan. - Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? - I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice, when they would be lost on others (swoons). - Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating in F.W.” p.191

like i’m sorry if i ever received that letter i would combust on the spot. it’s always “wyd” and never “you pierce my soul”. i’m fucking inconsolable.

anyways yeah, this book was insane. gonna go ruin it now and watch the crappy netflix movie of it.

imnotadorableimpunk's review against another edition

funny hopeful reflective slow-paced

aliceleanne's review

This might be my first real read-through of a Jane Austen book, because it’s definitely my first Austen as an adult. I loved this one more than I was expecting, because it’s the only Austen that I was able to read totally on its own terms without some movie or tv adaption playing in my mind the whole time. Austen is a master of personalities, and she somehow keeps you hooked despite very little happening.

renuoberman's review

3,5
me gustó mucho, la escritura es indiscutiblemente hermosa, pero como divago leyendo a Jane Austen. mi mente de pierde sola.

doglady_reads's review against another edition

hopeful slow-paced

geneticginger's review

I really enjoyed Persuasion. I've read enough Jane Austen that I saw a lot of the plot points coming, but it was still a refreshing dive into some English literature.