What Are Your Words?: A Book about Pronouns, by Katherine Locke

augustgreatsword's review

emotional informative reflective fast-paced

libraryrobin's review

The main character's anxiety is palpable.

fell4's review

Great teaching tool for kids about pronouns.

queerpoetssociety_'s review

hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

cj_heid's review

I saw this book while shelving books at the library, and I was honestly kind of amazed that there was a kid's book for this. I took a second to read it and it's a beautiful book.
The art is spectacular and casually features a diverse group of neighbors for the young kid and their family. The book explains how pronouns are used and how/why people may change the pronouns they use. Readers meet a variety of friends who use a variety of pronouns, and follows Ari who is still deciding which words to use for themself. The way Ari describes trying out pronouns and feeling like they don't fit is a very accurate description even for adults, and still understandable for little ones.
I think it's a great book to read with kids, especially as they get a little older. The book may cause more questions, but that makes it a great way to start up a conversation naturally about how they feel about themselves.
I plan to have this book on my future kid's shelves someday.

(and p.s. I know it's a picture book, but I read it, so it's going towards my Goodreads Challenge.)

ceilidhnewbury's review

An awesome introduction to pronouns, how to use them, how to experiment with them, and how to know they feel right! And the illustrations are gorgeous!

fae_emma's review

very cute, very sweey story. beautiful art.

libbrarian's review

I want to live in this book's neighborhood!!!

holetariat's review

hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

samagader35's review

Great intro to pronouns; could use a little more explaining for littles.