The Giver of Stars, by Jojo Moyes

lcg527's review against another edition

emotional mysterious relaxing slow-paced

captivate406's review against another edition

A bit anticlimactic but I great read!

steph_84's review against another edition

I loved this book: the mountains, the structure, the writing, and the things I learnt about 1930s Kentucky. The goodies were so good and the baddie was so horrible; yet no one felt over-simplified and there was so much warmth without being sappy. Did I mention it’s about renegade librarians? And it’s inspired by real librarians who delivered books by horseback to remote areas across the mountains of East Kentucky. What a bunch of legends.

bookworm_smanff's review

I loved this book. For me it started slow, but I think my automatic reaction to a book set 'back in the day' is to think I won't enjoy it.

Alice escapes her family and her life in England when she marries Bennett, a Kentuckian. Her new life begins in a new country with hope of happiness and love.

When struggling to fit in to her new way of life Alice volunteers to join the Kentucky Pack Horse Library. Joining other women who deliver books miles across the rural landscape to ensure that all families, women, children and schools get to enjoy the beauty of reading and learning from books - indifferent to their financial or social status.

It was a heart-endearing book. Fights for justice, for friendship and loyalty to the end. A stand on racism, that during this US depression era was rife and blatant and apologetic.

Alice learns what is important in life, who she wants to be, and the value of friends and people who show her more love than her own family ever have.

We get to hear of the horrific conditions of the miners, endangering their lives to earn a living.
There is romance and friendship, love, pain, destruction - there is the fight to be free.

Basically....read it.

bookalicious_be's review against another edition

Eigenlijk heb ik Jojo Moyes altijd graag gelezen: lekkere tussendoortjes met een snuifje romantiek maar ook heerlijke humor, ondanks de meestal niet zo bijzondere verhaallijnen.

Bij dit boek zag ik echter uit naar de verhaallijn, maar ik kwam er alleen maar bordkartonnen personages tegen. Zo jammer, echt ferm tegen mijn zin uitgelezen (want je wil toch wel altijd weten hoe het verhaal eindigt?)

brett311's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring fast-paced

mrsumbach's review against another edition

If crying three times and laughing a whole bunch more doesn’t indicate a five-star novel, then I’m not sure what does.

readingwithmuggy's review against another edition

This has the potential to be one of my top favorite books. It had all the elements for me. 1. Historical fiction. 2. Strong female leads who are defying all societal expectations of what women’s roles should be. 3. About a mobile library. 4. A bit of drama that kept me hooked until the end. I would def recommend.

bookedupblog's review against another edition

If you’re a fan of The Great Alone but don’t want to feel sad throughout the entire book, I’d say this is a good pick. There’s lots of gendered power dynamics, and I think Moyes does a good job of exploring the setting and the story with those constraints. It’s a story about friendship and hardship and of course the power of books. If your book club is looking for their next read, there’s a lot to dissect.

cleister's review against another edition

Good story. Reminded me of bookwoman of troublesome creek. Story of the women librarians in Kentucky. Alice was the main character. She was from England and married an American whose father was a miner. Lots of subplots.  Enjoyed this book.