The Giver of Stars, by Jojo Moyes

dotvicky's review against another edition

A really enjoyable holiday read. Would be my usual sort of book and I'm really glad it was recommended to me by my feminist book club.

dgilmour's review against another edition

inspiring reflective medium-paced

This book definitely reminded me how our friendships can impact our friends lives and the importance of supporting one another. It can change the entire outcome of someone’s life. ❤️

katebooks's review against another edition

Such a great book! Had to give it 5 stars! I was waiting each day so I could read more and know what would happen to this amazing library and the women running it

alyjensen24's review against another edition

I really like this author's writing. This was my second book from her, and it was really well done. I loved the concept, and it was really interesting to read a story about this time period and the Packhouse Librarians.

swankai23's review against another edition

emotional inspiring medium-paced

jeez_lxuise's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

myjourneywithbooks's review against another edition

When Alice Wright marries the handsome Bennett van Cleve, she hopes that the move from England to America will help her escape her stifling life. But small town Kentucky doesn't turn out to provide the freedom Alice imagined. And to make matters worse, married life feels like a disappointment too, with Bennett growing strange and distant, and the overbearing presence of her father-in-law never far away. So when the call goes out for volunteers for a new travelling library initiative, Alice jumps on the chance, little knowing that she will end up making the best friends she will ever have.

Set during the American Depression and based on the true story of the Packhorse Librarians of Kentucky, this story, sometimes funny and cheerful, sometimes sad and heartbreaking, but always beautifully written, certainly packs a lot. At the forefront of the story are Alice and Margery O'Hare, a tough independent local woman who ends up becoming Alice's strongest ally. Each of them faces their own personal trials and woven throughout the storyline is the women's fight to challenge both the societal norms and the men who think they can tell them how to live their lives. Each librarian adds something to the story and Mrs Brady was my favourite of the minor characters!

Through the lives of the women librarians and the people they love, we witness an unfolding drama filled with courage, loyalty, passion and a sense of camaraderie that will have you wishing for friends like these. Though my interest dipped a little somewhere along the way, it rose again towards the end and the book ended up being a thoroughly enjoyable one overall, making me shed a few tears and providing plenty of laughs.

utdawson's review against another edition

4.5 stars

demottar's review against another edition

This was an uneven read for me. The book is not totally without merit, but Jo Jo Moyes is definitely a “historical fiction lite” author. There is a lot of purple prose, one dimensional villains, and “what’s gotten into you, lately?” throughout. Once I accepted the book for what it was (and wasn’t) going to be, I was able to enjoy it a lot more, hence the three stars. I’m pretty excited for the movie, and this this will translate well to the screen.

Final thoughts: I wish Reese Witherspoon picked more literary books.

rva_reader's review against another edition

4.5 rounded up. This was a slow start for me but then got so good.