Dracula by Bram Stoker

flagstaff's review against another edition

Usually not a fan of full cast audiobooks but this one was especially well done.

seclement's review against another edition

What struck me most about this book is how much more like a mystery than a horror story this is. Like many people, I have seen the movies but for some reason had never read the book. The book is slower and much more detailed, which comes as no surprise, but what did come as a surprise the word "vampire" is not uttered, and the concept not directly addressed, until 60% of the way through the book. As I read it, I kept wishing I had been one of the first people to read it, wondering at how much more suspenseful it would have been.

I hadn't realised that the book was written in the form of diaries, and through this you get to know Mina, Jonathan, and Dr Seward's characters in great depth. The characters of Mina and Lucy were probably the most interesting from a modern perspective. Though I loved the book, it is of course old, and as such the depiction of female characters borders on the ridiculous at times. Dracula is able to feed on the women for so long in part because the women are thought to be pale, tired, and prone to passing out because of all the excitement and/or mental anguish they are experiencing. They can, of course, be revived with brandy. Mina is a strong female character, but what's so remarkable in reading this in the year 2016 is how her strength of character and intelligence are explained in the book by her having the "the mind of a man". This is no criticism of Stoker - he is, after all, a product of his time - but merely an observation and something that struck me time and time again throughout the book.

petite_courgette's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

anmcfarland04's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced

mialeyden's review against another edition

The first part was giving me 4 stars vibes. However, the second part dragged on horribly and then the book ended in like 5 seconds, so I can't go higher than 3.5 stars.

mathley's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

jane_kelsey's review against another edition

I just finished Dracula and enjoyed it actually, I wasn't expecting it as the writing was quite dry and pained me to see Mina being thought of as being of such weak sensibilities...

aniroo's review against another edition

Reading on my Nook. Trying to figure out how to use certain features of the NOOK. Also reading The Passage by Justin Cronin, a vampire book also.

docsol22's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

oaxleaf's review against another edition

mysterious tense slow-paced

It’s… fine. A slow-paced classic with three times the word count of what it needed. Read if you want to know the origins of the popularization of many vampire tropes, are really interested in late 19th century gothic literature, or just want to brag to friends and family that you have read it, because it is truly more enjoyable to have read than to be reading.