Boy's Life, by Robert R. McCammon

lindseycstraub's review against another edition

Laughed out loud and bawled as well. Excellent.

digitalrob's review against another edition

So, I had to see what the big complaints were for the one star ratings, and even though I enjoyed this book immensely, I can see why they got frustrated.

I remembered reading this book when I was about 18 when it first came out. I loved it then and I love it now. That said, I asked myself at least twice during the first third of the book how I managed to love this book so much as a teen. The descriptions are very detailed to the point of tedium at some points.

Then we got into the story where that detail is pretty frickin' important. McCammon does a fantastic job of creating a movie for the reader. The characters are well developed, and the book has several heart wrenching moments.

With a bit more history under my belt in the last 30 years, I didn't find the mystery difficult to solve, but I enjoyed the tension and the suspense regarding the two mysteries. I regularly asked if they connected to each other. And the magic, I love the magic in this book: subtle but real.

The final chapter does a nice job of closing the story for the characters. Hometowns don't always stay the same.

Finally, I never thought this would be something I would have to explicitly express my enjoyment over, but reading this in 2020, I really like that the Nazis are the bad guys. I'd really like that sentiment to come back.

"We all start out knowing magic."

cassiekgant's review against another edition

I really can’t think of a way to properly describe this book. There are so many different aspects that make it the work of art that it is… And, boy, am I going to miss some of the characters.

jjfsf's review against another edition

A little bit Ray Bradbury and a little bit Stephen King, I didn’t want this fantastic story to end.

taysbookshelf's review against another edition

3.5 stars, rounded up to 4. Boy's Life had moments of transcendent beauty, but it also had pages of...tedium. I will say off the bat that the book felt like it should've been 20-30% shorter. Still, I enjoyed it. And those moments of beauty gave me powerful frisson. The book is not, I repeat, is NOT horror. Someone on reddit described it as a Southern Gothic coming-of-age story with magical realism elements, which feels much more apt.

I'm struggling with this review because there was much to enjoy about Boy's Life, but it just didn't *DO IT* for me the way I wanted to it. This is in contrast to McCammon's other most famous work, Swan Song, which quickly became one of my favorite books ever.

The first 5-10% of this book was an A, the middle 80% was a C, and the last 5-10% was an A. It was a good story, but not one I foresee myself revisiting.

merricatct's review against another edition

I loved this from start to finish. It's truly a journey of emotion - the sweetest joys, the most harrowing terrors, and the deepest grief can be found within these pages. This made me think of the aching beauty of Something Wicked This Way Comes, crossed with IT. Both are coming-of-age stories with a focus on the magic of childhood, and this book is the happy medium between Bradbury's magic and King's horror.

hearond's review against another edition

Wonderful book

hyzth's review against another edition

throwing-tantrum

Why did it have to come to an end? Why?

slimeandslashers's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective

the best book I have ever read and easily is now my favorite book of all time!

andotherworlds's review against another edition

2 // Presenting ... the dreadful schoolbook which put me in a two week long reading slump resulting in my being 3 books behind my reading schedule. All I will dare to say about this book is that it was a poorly executed attempt at being an interesting novel. It lacked its promised murder mystery elements (which on the rare occasion they were brought up the book started picking up), it had poorly developed and placed magical realism, and after reading a whole six hundred pages devoted to this small town, I still have yet to feel any inkling of attachment to the characters.

Overall, I would not recommend this book, well perhaps to my enemies.