The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger

julena17's review against another edition

sad slow-paced

1.5

This book is so upsetting and makes no sense.

rory_fitz's review against another edition

why is this book a classic? classics are supposed to be profound, or at least say something about the world other than the declaration that everyone and everything is phony.
it’s not that i really didn’t enjoy the catcher in the rye, but given the fact that it is the favorite book and quintessential classic to so many people, i was really just perplexed all throughout the book. holden had absolutely no original thoughts. flip to any page in the book, and i guarantee that someone is “acting all phony”, or “killing him”, or “depressing the hell out of him”, or he wants to “give someone a buzz”. except he doesn’t. because “you really have to be in the mood for that sort of thing”. also, the introduction to holden’s narration made it seem like something actually happened in the book. some event actually worth telling about. and instead we just got 277 pages of a sexist, spoiled boy getting uncomfortably drunk and chain-smoking and debating about whether or not to call various people on the phone, wrapped up with a wildly ambiguous ending. not classic material, at least in my mind. the only decent bit in the entire book for me was when he was talking with phoebe and the title of the novel came into play. even though holden wouldn’t stop talking throughout the book, this seemed to be the only time he had anything to say.

squeegeeluigi83's review

Read it in college for the first time and thought it was great. I probably didn't get as much out of it because I didn't read it as a turbulent middle/high schooler.

rysmi's review against another edition

I ABSOLUTELY HATED THIS BOOK.

he1enak's review against another edition

I read this book after reading The Perks of Being A Wallflower because I could see how much it meant to Charlie and this book seems to be referenced quite a lot in literature. I liked it because it gave a very real account of a boy, tired of his responsibilities, rebelling because he feels there isn’t anything of worth in his life. At some parts I found it boring but it went into depth in the mental state of the main guy (I’ve forgotten his name) which I found interesting. American classic which I recommend :)

jessica_siegel's review against another edition

JD Salinger presents "Hollywoo Stars and Celebrities! What Do They Know? Do They Know Things? Let's Find Out!"

I think this says all you need to know. I want this to be a movie, but JD Salinger things movies are phony so he's never let it happen.

jessicajonesreads's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced

agustinadpaz's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective tense fast-paced

hopelessbooklover's review against another edition

The end was too long and there wasn't much of an end. First half was a lot nicer

shelbyx14's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective tense fast-paced