Reviews tagging Bullying

The House in the Cerulean Sea, by TJ Klune

naiu_cs's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

jucu's review against another edition

dark hopeful fast-paced

It's a well-written book that deals with prejudices and challenges our preconceived notions about the world and what is "lawful".

dragon_ex_machina's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

mts's review against another edition

funny hopeful medium-paced

caseofspades's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

artemis_rose_reads's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

Read this if:
You are looking for something heartwarming about found family, celebrating bodily differences, with a gay  romance between middle age men. It also shows that a mediocre person with privilege has the power and a responsibility to stand up for those harmed by institutions and racism.

Don’t read this if:
You are looking for a story that completely and satisfactorily addresses the many ways that the Sixties Scoop harmed indigenous peoples, look elsewhere. It does put the responsibilities of fixing the problems onto the privileged, however they are made into a hero because their efforts are sadly rare.

With that it mind:
If you can understand that this book is unsatisfactory when it comes to properly addressing the many horrors of stealing and institutionalizing peoples because the people in power have decided that their birth families cannot care properly for their children. However it does a fairly decent job in showing the long term emotional and mental damage that this clauses in the children, but also the adults who have also had to live through this situation.
Does it solve everything and puts all the appropriate blame on the system and then fixes the problem? Nope, not even close. This is basically a love letter to the average person who does what is in their personal power to improve and protect the happiness of those who have been hurt by government and biases against the “other”.

oliverreeds's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced
if i could rate this book higher than a five, i would do it. everything about this is incredible. i am crying from happiness.

proudtobeabookaholic's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring slow-paced

Linus Baker is a case worker for the Department in Charge of Magical Youth and he does everything by the book. He lives alone with his cat, content with his life as it is. Until he's sent on a secret mission to an orphanage on a mysterious island...

I'm totally in love with this book! The characters are lovely, the personal growth is wonderful, and it's amazingly queer! This is a magical story about alienation, friendship, progress and found family. It is both serious and fun and I would recommend it to almost anyone. This is definitely a book I want to read again!

maky91's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

aidamaria_reads's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious reflective relaxing sad medium-paced

The House in the Cerulean Sea is such a comforting, funny and fantastical story. I enjoyed every minute of it and even snorted out loud in public while reading at the train station (because of something Lucy said, if I remember correctly). If this book doesn’t get turned into a film, preferably animated, I’ll be gravely disappointed. I could see the scenes so vividly inside my head and all the children in Arthur’s orphanage melted my heart. They’re such endearing characters and Linus’s internal monologues cracked me up. Never in a million years did I think I’d like to adopt the literal Antichrist, but here we are. 😈 To be fair, my cat sometimes acts as a bringer of destruction upon my world: the little booger chews on books I leave on the table! 😼

This book gets a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 (4.5 out of 5) rating from me, despite several discussions going on about the author, where he got his inspiration for this novel and what actions he should or shouldn’t take when it comes to certain matters. I’m tired of cancel culture. This is a wonderful and sweet and hilarious and heartwarming story and I’m very grateful TJ Klune wrote it. He’s a witty writer, so let him do what he does best. If he wants to be an activist too, that’s great, but if he doesn’t, that’s fine too.