Reviews tagging Child abuse

The House in the Cerulean Sea, by TJ Klune

quirkyaquarian's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

Like if The Umbrella Academy mixed with Miss Peregrines’ Home for Peculiar Children, but more wholesome and gay. Brimming with positive and poignant messages and featuring a lovely slow burn romance between two middle aged men. It was a light and easy read with a whimsical fantasy element. I absolutely loved Lucy, I thought his little dark mind was incredibly funny, and Linus was definitely a solid protagonist.

naiu_cs's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

ace417's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring slow-paced

The start of the book was pretty slow and I didn't like Linus at first, but then in the setting of the others, he grew on me. "A Burning Secret" is on the back of the book as one of the plot hooks, but frankly the secret isn't brought up until two-thirds of the way through. That being said, I really liked this book and how much emotion is in it. I'm incredibly fond of Lucy.

feingartner's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

rainy86days's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted slow-paced

risemini's review against another edition

emotional inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

sprinkledwithwords's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

jamesliggins's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

notalightbulb's review

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

This book has a lot of things I really liked. The characters are lovely, the relationships feel real and natural, the human-ness of it all is beautiful. I went into this book with absolutely no expectations other than 'I've heard this has good representation'. I didn't even know about the magic, imagine my surprise when there was a magical child, and then multiple magical children. The way Klune wrote felt familiar, the flow was great and there were random lines that had me loudly exhaling through my nose and others that had me grinning like an idiot. I'm really glad I read this book and I give it the highest praise.

keysmashhh's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

Plot: 3.5/5
Character: 5/5
Relationships: 4.5/5
World-Building: 4/5
Genre: 5/5
Spoiler
There was literally nothing I didn't like about this book - that's impressive!
Plot: I was hesitant when starting this as the magical element wasn't present from the start - however upon reflection I think the contemporary(ish) beginning really helped to highlight the "before" phase of Linus' life - I felt that the plot was pretty slow but I didn't find myself getting bored - each addition to the plot felt relevant and like it elevated the story. I was worried when Linus returned to the city and didn't go back for a couple of weeks but that also what sold me on the realism of the book - it acknowledges how much of an uphill battle it is to make positive change and when he returned to the island I actually shed a couple of tears.
Character: Chauncey is the best character and I would protect him at all costs - I spent most of this book just smiling every time he spoke. I love the contrast in all the characters but how they also feed off of and learn from each other. Lucy was adorable and had the best lines in the book. I liked the way the book treated each character individually and in the context of their relationships to each other and to Linus.
Relationships: FOUND FAMILY IS THE BEST TROPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all of the relationships in this book were so lovely - the family that Arthur had created was so wholesome and I loved how all the kids cared for each other. I loved the way that Arthur and Linus' relationship developed - it felt very natural and their conversations elevated this book. When they finally kissed it felt like the perfect resolution of the book.  The dynamic of all of them at the end just filled my heart with so much joy
World-Building: The dystopian element of this book was *chefs kiss* - it felt like a fantasy version of 1984. The bureaucracy and mind-numbing routine of Linus at the beginning of the book was a lovely contrast to Linus on the island. The world of the island was lovely, TJ Klune used so much sensory imagery, you really felt transported to the magical island. The intolerance and fear of the town people also added a really interesting dimension to the story
Genre: It felt like the perfect blend of (slightly dystopian) contemporary and fantasy - I love low-key fantasy that doesn't require all my available brain cells to be working to figure out the magic system. The fantasy elements of this book were paired with real-world elements in a way that made me really love the magical quality of this book