Reviews tagging Confinement

The House in the Cerulean Sea, by TJ Klune

jamesliggins's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

keysmashhh's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

Plot: 3.5/5
Character: 5/5
Relationships: 4.5/5
World-Building: 4/5
Genre: 5/5
Spoiler
There was literally nothing I didn't like about this book - that's impressive!
Plot: I was hesitant when starting this as the magical element wasn't present from the start - however upon reflection I think the contemporary(ish) beginning really helped to highlight the "before" phase of Linus' life - I felt that the plot was pretty slow but I didn't find myself getting bored - each addition to the plot felt relevant and like it elevated the story. I was worried when Linus returned to the city and didn't go back for a couple of weeks but that also what sold me on the realism of the book - it acknowledges how much of an uphill battle it is to make positive change and when he returned to the island I actually shed a couple of tears.
Character: Chauncey is the best character and I would protect him at all costs - I spent most of this book just smiling every time he spoke. I love the contrast in all the characters but how they also feed off of and learn from each other. Lucy was adorable and had the best lines in the book. I liked the way the book treated each character individually and in the context of their relationships to each other and to Linus.
Relationships: FOUND FAMILY IS THE BEST TROPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all of the relationships in this book were so lovely - the family that Arthur had created was so wholesome and I loved how all the kids cared for each other. I loved the way that Arthur and Linus' relationship developed - it felt very natural and their conversations elevated this book. When they finally kissed it felt like the perfect resolution of the book.  The dynamic of all of them at the end just filled my heart with so much joy
World-Building: The dystopian element of this book was *chefs kiss* - it felt like a fantasy version of 1984. The bureaucracy and mind-numbing routine of Linus at the beginning of the book was a lovely contrast to Linus on the island. The world of the island was lovely, TJ Klune used so much sensory imagery, you really felt transported to the magical island. The intolerance and fear of the town people also added a really interesting dimension to the story
Genre: It felt like the perfect blend of (slightly dystopian) contemporary and fantasy - I love low-key fantasy that doesn't require all my available brain cells to be working to figure out the magic system. The fantasy elements of this book were paired with real-world elements in a way that made me really love the magical quality of this book

amdonn8's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

This was a sweet story about overcoming difference and prejudice. The themes were not at all subtle and many of the scenes were repetitive, which slowed down the pace. But, ultimately a feel-good and utterly charming read.

Apparently the author was influenced by stories of residential schools in North America and, while the message is firmly about the horrors of such events, I don’t feel great about about the fantasy-ization of it.

hopemarie_f_hughes's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

I almost don’t know what to say about this book because I enjoyed it so much and am unsure I can quite capture its beauty. Linus’ character development was probably my favorite part - the way you saw him slowly begin to care for Arthur and the children as the book went on was so touching. Klune is a fantastic author who truly makes you care for every single character. I felt like I knew each of them inside and out. I began to believe I, too, was a part of their family.

lucinotlucy's review

adventurous hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

jucu's review against another edition

dark hopeful fast-paced

It's a well-written book that deals with prejudices and challenges our preconceived notions about the world and what is "lawful".

theasbookworld's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring medium-paced

zoe_jiran's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

elbe1's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

caseofspades's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced