Reviews tagging Body shaming

The House in the Cerulean Sea, by TJ Klune

thereadinglemon's review

dark lighthearted mysterious relaxing medium-paced

This book was a warm, comforting book to read and the characters were very loveable, i enjoyed it.

caseofspades's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

artemis_rose_reads's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

Read this if:
You are looking for something heartwarming about found family, celebrating bodily differences, with a gay  romance between middle age men. It also shows that a mediocre person with privilege has the power and a responsibility to stand up for those harmed by institutions and racism.

Don’t read this if:
You are looking for a story that completely and satisfactorily addresses the many ways that the Sixties Scoop harmed indigenous peoples, look elsewhere. It does put the responsibilities of fixing the problems onto the privileged, however they are made into a hero because their efforts are sadly rare.

With that it mind:
If you can understand that this book is unsatisfactory when it comes to properly addressing the many horrors of stealing and institutionalizing peoples because the people in power have decided that their birth families cannot care properly for their children. However it does a fairly decent job in showing the long term emotional and mental damage that this clauses in the children, but also the adults who have also had to live through this situation.
Does it solve everything and puts all the appropriate blame on the system and then fixes the problem? Nope, not even close. This is basically a love letter to the average person who does what is in their personal power to improve and protect the happiness of those who have been hurt by government and biases against the “other”.

womxyn's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

This is mostly a really cute and wholesome read. Overall I really liked it and I was really invested in the story and the characters from the start, it's 95% comforting and lovely and funny.

Unfortunately I felt a wee bit uncomfortable reading the (mildly-ish) fatphobic way Linus' body is described in the book. It's a body acceptance arc that is cute, but the tone feels clumsy at times. Possibly because it felt a bit out of synch with the rest of the book. So it's a minor let-down, not enough to stop me finishing the book.

Anyway here's a moderately spoilery outline of the  weird-to-read body stuff:

Spoiler
 In the first 50 pages, there's some fairly unpleasant negative self talk from Linus, cruel comments from colleagues and examples of (probably) disordered eating. Later, he has an adorable conversation with a child who is also fat and she celebrates her round body and encourages him to celebrate his. The arc then seems to kind of taper off a bit, until, towards the end of the book, he notices that his clothes are looser than they have been and he "found himself not caring at all" and shortly after he's described as "comfortable in his own skin for the first time in his life... life was so much more than worrying about a spare tire..." which is something, but given that most of the loose ends are tied up at the end of the novel in such a cosy way, I'd have liked to see Linus celebrating his body more, rather than choosing not to worry about it's size, and not caring if he bumped into desks

roodborstje's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

I can't believe this is the first book I finished in 2022. It's almost disheartening, because I don't see how anything could top this?

I devoured this book the way I did my childhood favourites, years ago. I didn't even know I could still do that, staying up all night repeatedly telling myself "just one more chapter", inhaling words breathlessly, unable to stop but dreading the last page because I wanted to stay in this world so badly. This book burrowed its way into my heart, I fell in love with each of its bizarre and wonderful characters, and I fell in love with reading all over again.

erin_a_ziraphale's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

"No, it's not. Life rarely is. But we deal with it best we can. And we allow ourselves to hope for the best. Because a life without hope isn't a life lived at all."
A sweet story about a man in his forties finding a place to belong, and even if it wasn't perfect for me I am glad it exists.

natromanoffgf's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective

i honestly think this is a good book but i did not enjoy it as much as i thought i did…
the blame is kinda on me i highly prefer books much action and more adventure — which is something this book didn’t have

a few points i would like to make
- the representation was NOT great, TJ Klune could have focused less on stereotypes and more on actual characterizations of the characters (black woman as the angry caretaker role??? fat guy shamed for how he looks and doesn’t have any friends…)
- did not focus enough on the characters, this book is not plot-focused it’s CLEAR so especially because of the lack of action and plot i would have liked to see more personality and surprises from characters that had so much potential (Theodore, Phee, Zoe…)
- slow, VERY slow book, focuses more on describing little things rather than keeping things moving, especially at the beginning (i do not care how the little blanket on your bed is TELL ME WHATS GOING ONNN)
- i did anticipate everything before it happened so i found a few things quite predictable
- i felt like this book lacked that kind of spark that makes u exited every time u continue to read it, sometimes i was struggling to continue it or at least how it felt for me

still a good book tho it’s definitely a 3.5/3.75 stars for me, the writing was good even if a bit boring, the ending was really cute and the characters were lovable :)

strange_little_ranger's review

adventurous hopeful inspiring medium-paced

prettycloud's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

ridesthesun's review against another edition

adventurous challenging funny hopeful inspiring fast-paced

I'm so FREAKIN HAPPY 😭😭😭😭😭😭

I'm pretty sure this book was the purest, most wholesome thing I have ever read.

What a beautiful, hilarious, perfect story. I loved every single bit of it. The whimsical was perfectly balanced with the serious, and all the relationships brought me so much joy. So so so so highly recommend ❤❤