The Gutter Prayer, by Gareth Hanrahan

bookishve's review against another edition

Una fantasía oscura original con una construcción de mundo que te cautivará ...

¿Han leído alguna fantasía oscura?

Porque para mí esta lectura fue mi primera experiencia. Cada vez que leo más fantasía, me doy cuenta que me gusta mucho cuando los autores tienen una capacidad extraordinaria de crear un mundo fantástico, porque más allá de los personajes, éste es un punto que vale en este género.

bookinvasion's review against another edition

My full review can be seen here - https://youtu.be/fJlhazc989s

This didn't feel like any of the other fantasy books I have read. I really enjoyed the tonality and the touch of horror and mystery throughout.

lauraen's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious slow-paced

timmason's review against another edition

Urban fantasy with the usual cast of characters. Kept reminding me of the Amra Thetys books by Michael McClung, but didn't grab me as much. Maybe it was just the weather.

nicasio's review against another edition

DNF at 66%. I wanted to like this, but it just never took off for me. Bounced after the first few chapters, came back and tried again, found the later beginning more engaging, then slogged through the rest until finally giving up. I just didn't feel compelled to spend time with these characters.

majaingrid's review against another edition

3.5 stars

I'm gonna be honest. I struggled with this one.

I don't know why because it was right down my alley. Dark fantasy. Thieves. What's not to love? World building is solid. So's plot and I liked the characters. But I found myself unable being invested. Not the books fault. I think it's a "it's-me-not-you" kind of situation. Could also be my high expectations. There's been some hype around this one and I thought it was gonna be right up in the 4 or 5 stars. But it just didn't reach me

lastson's review against another edition

I love a good fantasy series, and this one is no exception - on the contrary, Hanrahan has the originality turned up to 11! In my head, this is a very (dark) Victorian inspired world, but with some takes on the usual tropes I'd not seen before. Magic-heisty-thiefy goodness. Highly recommended!!

arcuysnn's review against another edition

An enjoyable but uneven book, bouncing from a one beautifully-written scene of horror or wonder to another scene clunky with awkward prose and terse description. The characters are awfully original...except when they're not, existing in a strange limbo where they're both great and forgettable at once. The plot strives to keep you guessing, and it does, but nothing feels grounded enough.

Hanrahan's imagination is nothing to sneeze at, though, and the city of Guerdon is worth reading about on its own. This is an author worth looking out for, even if his debut novel didn't quite hit the mark for me.

lorimcdonald's review

adventurous dark slow-paced

kerisveliants's review against another edition

2⭐️

Ok so I messed up the initial rating of this book. It’s not 5 stars. I really enjoyed the beginning of this book, but the rest of it was pretty much background noise. There was very little romance and I detest that. It’s just world building and while the initial idea sucked me in I couldn’t stand how it was carried out