The Four-Hour Workweek Expanded and Updated by Timothy Ferriss

friedgold's review against another edition

Almost all of Mr. Ferriss's tactics are exploitative, manipulative, and imperialistic. I can't help but wonder if he may be a sociopath. While there were some good ideas in this book, I cannot in good conscience, recommend it to anyone.

vaibhav_tripathi's review against another edition

As awesome as it can get.

kimball_hansen's review against another edition

This book surprised me quite a bit. I was skeptical with the title and the first part of the book (the narrator sounded like the dummy [a:Scott Brick|44554|Scott Brick|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1377113754p2/44554.jpg] but then he changed to sounding like Tom Hanks so I was alright with that) with his arrogant, high horse, better-than-you attitude. He brought up some really, really good points about being a minimalist, batching, not always finishing what you start (especially if it's not worth the Attention or Time we give), Parkinson's Law and Pareto's Principle working hand-in-hand, having smaller retirements spread out in the years so we can actually enjoy them and use them well rather than wait until we're at retirement age and can't appreciate the value of the extra time from not working. I love that belief. I have been doing that the past year.

I also liked his point about the wealth and overabundance of information creating a poverty of attention. Attention is more valuable than Time. There is so much information in the world that much of it is just pure garbage. We ought to go on more low-information diets.

The abundance of web resources he includes is priceless.

With that said, the author mentioned at the beginning of the book that "in excess most endeavors and passions take on the characteristics of their opposites; such as more is less, blessings are cursings etc." I think that he and those who follow the guidelines in this book to actually obtain a 4-hour workweek end up becoming (in a different but similar way) the very robots they are seeking to avoid. His foundation is that the New Rich is about building a system to replace yourself. I think by trying to be a minority he has, in a way, found himself on the side of the majority. Someone like Tim is virtually impossible to get a hold of and to have a basic human relationship with while at work. He teaches that it's possible to contact those celebrities and people we think it'd be impossible for commoners to get in contact with, but if you're trying to get a hold of someone high up in the company that has a lifestyle like Tim then you will never even know he exists because of his schedule. I admire the efficiency he has created for work but this virtue has now turned into a vice where he is basically a machine once he steps into the office. It may be a well-oiled machine but it has lost all it's humanity. He may be fine with that now but I believe a few decades down the road there will be serious repercussions from this inhumane behavior. The key to life is balance not trying to get away with the most minimal amount of work possible nor go through life as painlessly as possible like cool [a:Vinnie Tortorich|1515703|Vinnie Tortorich|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530.png] taught in his book [b:Fitness Confidential|24857461|Fitness Confidential|Vinnie Tortorich|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1423284267s/24857461.jpg|25487766]. I think in the long run, a regular 40-hour work week is more balanced than a 4-hour work week as ironic as that sounds. If you follow the Law of the Harvest and a farmer's lifestyle as taught in [b:The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change|36072|The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Powerful Lessons in Personal Change|Stephen R. Covey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1421842784s/36072.jpg|6277] then you will understand that an effective society can't last long with a lopsided lifestyle. I wonder how many of the people like Tim (and himself included) have a wife and kids. I liked the example of the guy who cut down on his work hours and is at home more with his wife and kids and goes to their school to eat lunch. That lifestyle I can stand behind and is more balanced.

I also don't know who this job market is targeted at. I wish it was more clear but to me was very vague. Maybe that is because I am not in the industry that could have a 4-hour workweek. The examples from people also didn't have clear job descriptions.

I think [a:Mark Manson|5209039|Mark Manson|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530.png] got his material from this book. I noticed a lot of similar themes from Mark's blog posts that were in Tim's book. Tim also wrote a lot like the book [b:Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel|100247|Vagabonding An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel|Rolf Potts|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320532720s/100247.jpg|96659]

All in all. A very Goodread. Made me thunk like a monk.

Rated R.

russellfamily07's review

Just gross. The author’s ethics are questionable and ego is over-inflated.

alexdelnorte's review against another edition

limitedly informative. massively pretentious. could be about 200 pages shorter. includes some particularly awful advice — “don’t read books” (except his of course)

mve94's review against another edition

informative slow-paced

xsleepyshadows's review against another edition

Seems done deaf and out of touch - reminds me of [b:Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be|35542451|Girl, Wash Your Face Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be|Rachel Hollis|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1513038393l/35542451._SY75_.jpg|56965748]

4 hour work week was only a 4 hour listen for me - I abandoned the audio book

librarygxrl's review against another edition

1.5

nope

hanlasse's review against another edition

Really enjoyed this book. It gives a lot of ideas and tips on how to work less to achieve more. Sure, some might not agree with his methods of outsourcing etc (which always has pros and cons), but I found it inspiring to not be caught up in the normal 8 - 16 buzz and take control of your life with smart, active choices.

epinyan's review