Girl Gone Viral, by Alisha Rai

rireadssometimes's review

THIS WAS EVERYTHING!
I picked this up randomly and I didn't expect to like it this much but wow, has it surprised me.
This is my first 5 star read of 2021 and an AMAZING one at that.
This book had everything I search for in a good romance: communication, character development, mush, compalitblity and SEXC TIMES.
This is no normal kidnapper, shinning armour, bodyguard romance, my friends.
This is a story about two very selfless people fighting their monsters and growing together and I LOVED IT.
I like how problems with mental health weren't rushed and every plot point was gradually dealt with (beautifully at that)
I just.... It's just-
it's perfect

paxyshia's review

emotional funny medium-paced

3.75 stars! I enjoyed it although the topics discussed were much heavier than anticipated.

Definitely for you if you enjoy:
- Client/bodyguard trope
- Friends to lovers with mutual pining!!!
- Healing with one another

tw: past emotional and psychological abuse, ptsd from war, kidnapping, panic attacks

Katrina is a reclusive investor and is now known only to a select amount of people including her roommates. After a painful childhood, she’s working her way back into the real world and as a hopeless romantic, she’s ready to fall back into love. The only problem? The one person she wants is someone she shouldn’t: her longtime bodyguard, Jas.

During a morning at a local cafe, a stranger sits and flirts with Katrina and even asks her out while the person at the table next to them decides to livetweet the whole thing. The tweets go viral and Katrina begins fearing for the anonymity she’s worked so hard for. Jas comes to the rescue when he offers a family owned house where she could get away from the possibility of being recognized. Together they go away but Jas’s family and past catch up to him as well and as the viral tweets unfold more, they’re forced to deal with how they want to live their lives.

📚

I liked it! Katrina and Jas were absolute sweethearts and all the things they went through were hard and something I could never understand but explains their characters and their kindness.

Though Alisha Rai’s proved that her characters and plots are diverse and real, this one was just a lot heavier than the first book. I feel like there was a lot more to dive into and more healing they needed to do with all the things that both characters went through. It was just heavy and was definitely not a light rom-com.

I would just be cautious of reading or recommending it because of all the tw’s i mentioned above. Great though and currently reading the last book in the series!

missbreathing's review against another edition

emotional funny slow-paced

alexandthesix's review against another edition

3.5/5

elizabethryan132's review

I loved this book! So wholesome and handled the subject of panic disorder and PTSD very well. I actually enjoyed this more than I expected, partly because I think the premise and title are misleading. I had a little trouble buying into the viral story but that didn’t lessen my enjoyment of the book

thesurielships's review

this is so cute

kayhayreads's review against another edition

Hmm I wanted to love this but I really just liked it. It was pleasant all the way thru, but really completely predictable and honestly a bit boring in parts. It had so much potential just missed the mark for me. However I enjoyed it, I would continue the Modern Love series this just didn't have the spark of The Right Swipe.

The smutty parts were pretty good tho!

mehad_mohamed's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

I loved how cute Katrina and Jas were together. The whole book was so cute and I really enjoyed it.

jj2047's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

the_bookroyal's review against another edition

I checked out the physical book and never even opened it, I primarily ended up listening to it on audiobook. It was really cute. I loved the consent check-ins. I was not expecting this to be a body guard romance. I dont know why but I guess I was thinking that the actual romance was going to take place between Kat and the café guy.
I liked the mental illness rep, would PTSD count as mental illness? I dont know. There definitely was a panic disorder, it was interesting to read about.

There were a couple of points that annoyed me in this book but overall it was good. I wasn't expecting to hear the name "samson" so often in this book, it's the reason I haven't read "the right swipe" yet which is only for personal reasons. it's my ex's name so I didnt really dig hearing that much. I still liked this book.