The Perfect Escape, by Suzanne Park

jenniafiare's review against another edition

DNF because this is such a bad book

idleutopia_reads's review against another edition

I read YA as a nod to my teenage self. I love that these types of books exist now, and I want to indulge my past self’s reading desires. The Perfect Escape by Suzanne Park introduces us to Nate Jae-Woo Kim, a child of Korean immigrants, called a skid (scholarship kid) at his prestigious school,  working at a zombie-themed escape room as a guide and Kate Anderson, the daughter of a tech CEO. Kate’s father basically left his parenting duties after his wife’s death to a robot named Jeeves.

She is now working at this same escape room as a zombie in hopes to save money to leave her home behind, escape to New York and become an actress. Yeah, reality must be suspended a bit here, but it proves to be a rewarding experience. Nate is approached by mean kid, Peter Haskill the Fourth, to mess his GPA in his upcoming semester to give the rest of the poor little rich kids a fighting chance with college applications in exchange for a hefty amount of money. Money that could help Nate’s family now that his father has lost his job.

Meanwhile, Kate is looking for a way out of her prisoner home where overprotectiveness turns into a 1984 themed house were no detail escapes her father’s notice. He is used to treating everything as a business negotiation he knows he’ll win. Friendship (and possibly love) start blooming the more that Kate and Nate spend time together. Kate decides to recruit Nate to team up to participate in a weekend-long zombie survivalist competition where they could win a huge cash prize. With both their skills they have a fighting chance to win and they could spend more time together. Each chapter is dedicated to Nate and Kate’s thoughts respectively which I love. We get to see into their minds and their struggles. Yes, Kate’s dad is uber evil and he goes borderline dictator and I wish that could be explored more but this is the first part in a series of this book. Nate’s struggles as a child of immigrants, wishing he had more money so he could help his family and finally start up his own startup company made you want to root for him and his success.

He’s a good friend, a great son, and tries his hardest to be a good older brother to little baby sister, Lucy. Kate is ambitious and she’s willing to leave everything behind to follow her dream. She’s used to people underestimating her but she won’t let that stop her. laughed a lot while reading this, I rooted for both Kate and Nate, I was impressed by how Parker drew out the survivalist competition and was at the edge of my seat waiting to see how it would turn out. Overall, this is YA so go in with those expectations and I believe that this will prove to be a fun read. I can’t wait for more of Suzanne Parker. In these times it feels nice into a world that lets you escape for a little bit so the name is very apt.

Update: went to a 3 star because I do wish the characters had more depth but it’s also YA so maybe it’s more of me not being the target audience.

writteninthebooks's review against another edition

Lack of interest

brooklynsbooks's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted tense medium-paced

flaviathebibliophile's review against another edition

A copy of this book was kindly provided by Books Forward in exchange for an honest review.

I haven’t been feeling the YA contemporary genre for some months now, but something about The Perfect Escape really drew me in. I love the way the cover is laid out, love the colours, and most of all I loved the sound of the synopsis! The story sounded like something I hadn’t read before in the YA contemporary genre (which is saying a lot because I normally read a lot of YA contemporary books)!

Now, having read The Perfect Escape, I can say for certain that...

Read the rest of my review here: https://flaviathebibliophile.com/the-perfect-escape-review/

mumpals's review against another edition

Fun YA novel about first loves and zombies

laranda's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted fast-paced

I loved this genre bending story. Nate and Kate are both so lovable and I rooted for each character to get what they wanted the entire time. What a cool concept!

emmaalejado's review

adventurous funny fast-paced

alexisvetack's review against another edition

Loved this book! The plot was intriguing, and I found the relationship between the two characters to be super cute. It’s pretty modern especially with the advanced technology storyline. There was some cursing, but I think it was representative of true teenagers. Would recommend this book to others but don’t know if I’d reread it myself anytime soon. Look forward to reading Parks’ other novel “Loathe at First Sight”!

tamikan's review against another edition

Sometimes you just need some romance trash.

5 stars for Nate's parents. Literally the best, funniest parts of the book.