Food, by Gertrude Stein

fran_gel's review

adventurous challenging fast-paced

losethegirl's review

challenging lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

I’ve read these poems before, but I liked them better this time. Maybe it’s the way that everything is going right now, but this was just a nice, lighthearted read that brightened my day a little. Not my favourite, but not awful either.

susannes_pagesofcrime's review

WHAT?! I don't get it.....
That is 30 minutes of my life I won't be getting back. I would have DNF'd it if it wasn't so short. Basically it's a jumbled mish mash of words (often repetitive) with a few words relating to food thrown in for good measure. Don't waste your time.

awaitingrain's review

I liked that she mentioned potatoes. I like potatoes.
Two stars for the prominent mentioning of potatoes. Overall it is a "pain soup". Before you leave "please butter all the beef-steak with regular feel faces".

Apparently there is a pigeon. Maybe not.
"This is no authority for the abuse of cheese". I like this.
"A cow is accepted." This is a good thing, right?
Not sure if there is a murder of flies or if there are murder flies.
"There is a solid chance of soiling". Made me laugh.
I enjoyed APPLE. (Page 22; also mentions potatoes)

andrea_f's review

Esta ha sido una lectura muy extraña. Es demasiado absurdo todo. Nunca pensé que podría decir eso de un libro pero esta mujer me ha superado.

La verdad es que pienso que no he entendido nada. Se supone que este libro describe comida para hablar de sexo pero yo no lo he visto. En parte, creo que el hecho de que haya tantas repeticiones y la puntuación me han mareado mucho cuando lo estaba leyendo.

La confusión es fuerte.

liamreads's review

I came across some of her poems in a seminar at uni and bought this since that probably wasn’t the last time. Even though her work might have been celebrated back when it was written, now it just seems kind of pretentious and headache-inducing (if you’re trying to figure out what it all means). I’m much more interested in the work she has done supporting other artists of that time. But I read it out loud and I have to say, it’s sounds kind of wild

aislate's review

challenging fast-paced

0.5

mvivz's review

es como juntar palabras random sobre las comidas y decir que suena bonito, pero mhmhmhmhmm. además insultantes sus pobres descripciones de las papitas, no pongo 1 pq creo que respeto a esa mujer.

levitybooks's review

THE LOWEST RATED BOOK ON GOODREADS!

In attempting to write about Food, Gertrude Stein expresses its derivative.

There are lower ratings, but not for serious books by acclaimed authors. This book need not exist. I doubt there is a single soul on earth who would hold this to their heart and say 'this is my favourite book'.

I have no idea how I will make a video review on something this unremarkably incoherent but I've made my proposition already for to make reviews for all 50 Penguin Moderns. Full written review coming soon.