Siege and Storm, by Leigh Bardugo

luclicious's review

The second book in the Shadow and Bone trilogy. Once again proving that the second book in a trilogy is all about the set up for the third or a huge filler for the whole series.

This sequel to Shadow and Bone is about Alina and Mal fleeing from Ravka after the events of the previous book. After a couple of dangerous trips across seas and the fold they find themselves on Ravka ground again. Alina has an interest in 3 mythical beast. One of them they already met in book 1. She get's more and more obsessed with the idea of amplifying her powers to finally defeat The Darkling. She must prove herself a great leader of Grisha to stop him.

So this middle book was just meh. I have a profound understanding that the middle book in a trilogy can't be the action packed or as story driven as the first or last book. But having a middle book gives so much time to explore the world and having great characters arcs. None of that happened for me in this book. The first 100 pages were really good with action packed scenes and a pretty clear path what would lie ahead. After that the book became a day in the life log where everything that was happing wasn't that interesting. Alina made more annoying statements that I would like to admit. Mal wasn't giving the right amount of time to explore his character here. I mean I like that he has to find a way in coping in such a different environment by having him turn into a alcoholic brut in a couple 10 to 20 pages is just too fast. The Darkling wasn't really featured in this one so he felt a bit underwhelming as a villain. He wasn't given enough time to be bad and fucking things up so to say. The edition of Nickolai was a welcome suprise. To be honest I think he was my favourite part of Siege and Storm. Even so much that I now have an interest in picking up King Of Scars which wasn't present before. While I was reading I couldn't stop thinking about how much this world made me think of A Darker Shade Of Magic. Both series have awesome ideas that could be turned into great novels. Only to have them both not live up to their full potential. The ending was a little so so in my taste. It felt a bit rushed and right before the battle begins I couldn't beleave I only had 50 pages left to read.

Overal an okay series. Eventhough this one was just meh I'm still interested in what will happen in book 3.

lizzzes's review against another edition

3.5?

deannabean's review against another edition

It was 3 stars up until the last maybe 70 pages. The book opened with action and ended the same way, but the middle felt like it could have remained unwritten.

lodde's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

muumiu's review

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced

miishae's review against another edition

Another great book! A bit turned off by the clingyness/forced romance between Alina and Mal, as in some parts they don't seem to have any chemistry. Everything else is wonderfully written though and I'm excited to read the next book!

irma207's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

Way better than the first one!
Loving Nikolai with all of my heart.
I am warming up with Alina but I still feel like her and Mal have no chemistry oops.

donna_v_d_w's review against another edition

I enjoyed the beginning and the ending but found a lot of the book a bit boring and slow. I loved the addition of new characters to the story, especially Nikolai who has quickly become one of my favorites, but found Mal and Alina’s relationship quite tedious due to Mal’s constant insecurity and both of their lack of communication. I feel like they didn’t have much chemistry to begin with and I often times found myself just wishing they’d call it quits. All and all not a bad book but I’m hoping for more action in the next one.

bibiyaneva's review against another edition

Incredibly dull and irritating main character and MC's love interest but Nikolai was such a cool character. The ridiculous use of slavic words continues on in some very questionable choices but the story pacing is great, the writing style floats easily and the story is quite captivating.

illona_loves_reading's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

So for the majority of this book I enjoyed it. However as you may know I hate (HATE!) it when issues are caused because people, usually the main characters (MC) don’t talk to each other or one doesn’t tell the other something etc etc you get my drift - and omfg our h does this to (I’m gonna say Mal not H cause frankly I don’t know who the H is supposed to be *face palm*) Mal and arrrrrrrrrgh it annoys me so much!! I literally had to stop and yell at her (thankfully no one was around to witness me do this!)! But seriously???!!
So yer overall I enjoyed it but 🤦🏻‍♀️
And yes I will continue on into the next one although I may need a little break because I cannot see how this is ever going to end well…
Read: can’t remember when I started (kept taking breaks after binge reading) but overall read over about 3 days, completed 30/11/21