Reviews tagging Kidnapping

Siege and Storm, by Leigh Bardugo

jonsnowsmanbun's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny mysterious fast-paced

Big Gale energy from Mal in this one. Not a fan…

katyfayyyxx's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional tense medium-paced

4 Stars
I am going to be real with you all I am so confused about how this book ended up being a 4 star read because I hated and I mean hated the start of this book. I was just so bored the whole time and I didn't care about the bullshit drama between Mal and Alina. I was like every single chapter they were arguing or they were madly in love. honestly, it would be on-site if I ever saw Mal and I mean on site. Like Mal need to shut the fuck and calm the fuck down because if I was Alina I would have fucking cut you in half with my solar powers shit by need, like holy fuck that boy is the worst thing about this book. I was that over them that I thought Nikolai and Alina should just get married at this fucking point at least they can speak to each other without it fucking with one of them storming out. Also, I didn't really like Alina for half of the book 'oh look at me, I am sad because Mal won't talk to me.' Girl, the dick can't be that good but then at the end of this fucking book they kinda started to melt my heart (yes I am aware that I am mentally ill) I was like 'what the fuck is going on, here on this day' but that motherfucker started saying shit like 'I came here for you. You're my flag. You're a nation.' If someone said that to me I would simply pass away and then I was fuck somehow Leigh Bardugo has made me an Alina and Mal stan ( I am more confused than every one of you trust me!) with that shit, right there. 'Please. this can't be how it ends. I rested my hand on his cheek, hoping that there was still enough between us that he would understand. I stood on my toes and kissed the scar on his jaw. I have loved you all my life, Mal. There is no end to our story.' Was I on the edge, yes I was and yes I was embarrassed about it. I was like I was going to give this book 2 stars at most and then BANG! The fucking book finally starts the drama, the betrayal! I would also like to say Nikolai please never stop being you <3. But like I knew the Darkling was a little fucked up but taking your own mother's eyes (babe, you also need to calm the fuck down) and it is also really fucking weird that you are obsessed with like a 17-year-old. Also, side note why it is always the plainest and most annoying main character in YA fantasy and the biggest make-believe is that more than one person would like them that much Also why did this man wake up and have the audacity to fuck with Genya in that way. I am not sure why but I love this woman and the way she turned away from David, baby I could have died, and the why he stayed back for <3 (if Miss Leigh Bardugo fucks with them, I am going to fuck with her, I am joking or I am I) The only reason this book somehow from the grace of God got four stars rating was the motherfuckin ending!!! No matter how much shit I have said about Alina if she ask for my hand in marriage after that ending I said yes. Okay, hate to say it but #girlboss. I am literally so confused why I liked this book but somehow I kind of hate it and love it at the same time but it is ten times better than the first one. I needed to start reading the last book like yesterday but I also don't think I am fucking ready for that shit.

' So many men had tried to make her a queen. now she understood that she was meant for something more. The Darking had told her he was destined to rule. He had claimed his throne and a part of her too. He was welcome to it. For the living and the dead, she would make herself a reckoning. She would rise'

theirgracegrace's review

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced

klerakeepsbooks's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark tense medium-paced

astoryofpages's review against another edition

adventurous challenging funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

I loved this second book! Leigh focused much more on the political and strategic side of the plot, I think, and I loved it! It's true that before Rule of Wolves, I didn't realize this was something Leigh worked on a lot, but now I realize it a lot more, and it's a delight! I also really liked Alina who asserts herself a little more. She has to measure herself against the desire for power, must prevent herself from succumbing. It made her come a little closer to the Darkling (like calls to like), and it was very interesting to follow her in this internal fight in which she was engaged.

The appearance of Nikolai was quite spectacular, but I tried, for this rereading, not to be fooled by his beautiful manners. What is infinite? The universe and the greed of men. And Nikolai is no exception. He too wants the power. And it's interesting to analyze the approach he has. A real politician. I tried to give Mal more credits, but it was quite complicated just looking at Alina's point of view. I understood her distress, and I just wanted to slap Mal sometimes. But then I said to myself: "but he isn't in her head, he does not understand her unhappiness". The Darkling is less present, or at least in an intangible way. I find it even more threatening! But shit then, he is so toxic and manipulative! I was glad that Alina has measured herself against him, it will bring him back down to earth!

shaylee_reads's review

adventurous tense slow-paced

Ratings:
Plot:⭐⭐/5
Writing:⭐⭐⭐/5
Characters:⭐⭐⭐/5
Romance:⭐/5
Diversity:⭐⭐⭐/5
Overall:⭐⭐⭐ /5
Tropes: Friends to lovers
This book took me so long to get through! The reason for that was that this book was so SLOW! I was about 200 pages into this book and I felt like nothing had happened and I felt like I was still in the beginning of the book, not in the middle. I just felt like nothing was happening and this book could have been cut in half.
Another thing I disliked was Mal… just Mal. He got on my nerves so much in this book, to me he was a very manipulative, gaslighting person who made everything about himself and made Alina feel guilty for wanting to help people. He gaslighted Alina so much in this book! He made her feel like everything that was going wrong in their relationship was her fault and that she should change to make him happy and not be herself and it PISSED me off. Don't even get me started on the whole Zoya thing!!
Another thing I'm not feeling Alina and Mal's relationship, it feels so forced and like we are supposed to believe that they are deeply in love but we don't ever see that because they barely spent any time together. Honestly Alina seemed to be so in love with him and wanting to be with him so much but Mal didn't seem to feel the same, he gave me so much F-boy vibes… like he was only pretending to care about her so he could get into her pants. I'm just not convinced in their relationship.
Another thing is that The Darkling is supposed to be this monster but it's now really shown.. we are told that he is this terrible person but nothing he does seems to back it up. I'm not saying that he's not a terrible person because he is, I'm just saying that we are being told that he is this terrible person instead of being shown that he is.
One thing I loved was Nikolai! He was amazing! Carried this book in his back! I'm in love with him and he saved this book.
All together I enjoyed this book but it just wasn't as good as the first book and it was kinda a let down but I'm excited to finish the trilogy.

asthxte's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny medium-paced

illgiveyouahint's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

ghostofthegallows's review

adventurous challenging dark mysterious slow-paced

My favourite book in the trilogy. It improves off shadow and bone and makes it better, mal is still useless but he has a personality now. Alians character crows so much throughout the book especially towards the end. Nikolai, taymar and tolyor are the best characters in my opinion.

unqualified_main_character's review against another edition

adventurous slow-paced