Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel

universeofdust's review against another edition

I heard about this book at a panel on dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction and bought it without knowing much else about it, but wow! The novel follows several different characters with each chapter moving between characters and through time. A portrait is created of a world before, during, and after a highly contagious and deadly virus sweeps across the world wiping out millions of people and civilization as we know it. The characters and their stories might seem quite disparate at first, but as the novel continues they become more tightly connected with each other, everything revolving around an old celebrity named Arthur Leander and a comic book called Station Eleven.

I love books like this that are able to move between genres and blur the lines between "literary" and "genre" fiction. The movement between the intense post-apocalyptic world and the world before the "Georgian Flu" fascinated me throughout, and I found Mandel's writing to be beautiful and poetic without dipping into melodrama and without compromising some of the grittiness of the story. Overall, a really good read.

paralizine's review against another edition

I am so glad I finally read this. It didn't disappoint I loved it a lot although it did make me pretty anxious with the whole collapse of the world as we know it because of a freaking flu, you know...

hereistheend's review against another edition

An incredibly surreal, gorgeous, and devastating experience to accidentally pick this up during a pandemic, read in quarantine. Unforgettable, really.

cliobemuzedbookworm's review against another edition

I wish I liked this better, I really do, but I won't lie... it was kind of a handful for me.
Maybe I have also been reading too much dystopia lately, because I definitely read something a bit lighter now.
We follow a disparate group of characters and move back and forth between their lives before and after the beginning of the end of the world.
Do not imagine some apocalyptic action book, but more a calm representation of different characters and their lives before and after the end. And find out that these people don't necesarily change, but that they mostly just have more bagage to bear.
Maybe my heart and mind were more involved in the other book, I was reading, but I really didn't get into the story or the characters. The character that spoke to me the most was only focused on briefly, so that didn't help either.

fraanini's review against another edition

adventurous dark hopeful mysterious medium-paced
Idk how I feel about this story yet…

meganw0009's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

heatherllama's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark inspiring tense medium-paced

absolutelyangy's review against another edition

Hits a different kind of comfort when you've read it during the pandemic

bmdayton's review against another edition

dark reflective

holeeilex's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful mysterious reflective tense slow-paced