The Unhoneymooners, by Christina Lauren

lyssak's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

vibrantcolours's review against another edition

Ughh I don't know! I think this book achieves what it is trying to do, but I realized too late that I wasn't the best headspace for this type of rom com.

Also, big personal beef near the end:
SpoilerI admit I am not a fan of reading about misunderstanding. The double-whammy of Olive getting fired and Ethan (plus more understandably Ami) not believing her really dented my enjoyment. Forgiving your sister for this, absolutely, but I would find it quite hard to take someone back after that weird disbelief and gaslighting. Like, I'm trying to get it... but yikes. Believe women.

I promise it's not a gatekeepy-thing, just made it less enjoyable. Honestly, after a fun maybe two-thirds of this book, I expected some kind of relational blip, but it was just a giant stream of "oh no oh no" followed by some awkward backpedalling.
That note aside, things did wrap up nicely. I particularly liked the extra depth from how personal growth, purpose, and family played important roles, rather than only showing the romance.

cw:
Spoilerinfidelity, jealousy kind of, sexual harassment (not between leads), gaslighting and just all around not great vibes discussed above

nichole22's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

lexilee316's review against another edition

i fully ate this up even with its stupid rushed ending

meggenlee's review against another edition

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

Christina Lauren is an author I frequently go to when I need the world to feel a little lighter and friendlier. And this is one of her best. The main characters are both incredibly likable and charismatic, and it’s fun to walk with them on their enemies to lovers journey.

yyyaelle's review against another edition

me estaba debatiendo si darle las 5 estrellas o no pero la realidad es que, en la mayor parte del libro, no paré de reírme a carcajadas ni un segundo y terminé el libro con una sonrisa enorme. capaz después cambie de opinión, but who knows, ahora mismo estoy feliz

kh32's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

karina_salas's review against another edition

I really expected myself to like this way more than I actually did. I’m sad because the first about 50% of the book was very much enjoyable and all the Maui scenes were great. However once they returned home it all quickly started to fall apart for me. Like I realize that many if not all romances will have a conflict no matter. But this particular conflict was just terrible? It fully ruined the mood and didn’t seem true to the characters after all the bonding and closeness that the first half created. To be honest I found myself so annoyed and irritated that no one believed Olive because how is that gonna be dragged out for so long when it could all be so quickly resolved by just talking? I guess communication doesn’t exist?

lsmith725's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

This book was cute, fun, enjoyable-everything you want in a romance.  It especially excelled at making me love the characters.  The sister (twin) relationship was so well done.  I'm writing this review a couple months after reading it, and I surprisingly remember a lot from the book.  I normally do not, so that's a good sign.

abagale's review against another edition

adventurous funny reflective medium-paced