Kinsey and Me: Stories by Sue Grafton

ajlewis2's review against another edition

lighthearted mysterious sad

This was an unusual book by Sue Grafton, one I'm so happy I read. I'm half-way through the Kinsey Millhone series, so it was a good time for it. The first section of the book contains short stories with Kinsey as the character. I don't normally like shorts, but Grafton can write them. I enjoyed these. Then the book shifts with an interlude explaining that the remainder is with another character and this one is really her younger self and her home life. Now we get into the sad part of the book. These are also short stories, at various times during her early life and into her 30s as I recall. This is very real emotionally as her character shows how it was for Sue. Very touching and well done. The book as a whole gives insight into how Grafton came up with and developed Millhone over the years.

polyhy_14's review against another edition

This is a collection of short stories, the first half concerning her popular P I Kinsey Millhone and the second half a partly fictionalised outpouring of feelings about her family, written after the death of her alcoholic mother. They're linked by a short essay on the evolution of the P I in fiction. The first set were a light hearted entertainment with her usual sparkling wit, but less clever than her novels. The stories in the second half had much more depth, and showed a serious side of her writing I hadn't previously encountered. Not necessarily a easy read, but explaining much about the character she created.

txag95's review against another edition

I love the alphabet series, but unfortunately just did not enjoy this book :(

camelot565's review against another edition

First half was great short stories, but the second half was a depressing tale of alcoholism.

seanancorin's review against another edition

I really enjoyed the short story format. I wish she published more.

nonna7's review against another edition

All I can say is that I'm glad I get my new books from the library. This book consists of a series of Kinsey Milhone short stories that have been published elsewhere. Happily I had not read them. However, there is also a short story that was published in the Lands End catalogue that has the detective talking about how warm a certain jacket is. Then there is a series of short stories about Kit, who is, apparently, Sue Grafton as a young girl. These stories were, initially, privately published. Apparently Ms. Grafton's publishers felt the need to get another book out there since the next book in the series isn't ready yet. The retail price on this book is $27.95. Like I said, I'm glad I get my books from the library.

onecountrygal87's review against another edition

This book was very exciting to read in the sense that you got a real feel for the author Sue Grafton as well as the main character Kinsey Millhone. I very much enjoyed the short stories both of "Kinsey" & of "Me". I read this for my "A Book Of Short Stories" book for the Reading Challenge 2015! :)

cafo6's review against another edition

The first half was light reading, little tales of Kinsey Milhone whodunit and tremendous fun. I read the second half at the tale end of a trip to move my mother from my childhood home to independent living and found myself gasping out repressed grief as I read her words. My mother has a chance to redo her life, to start over, but the ruination of that home and the memories within hurts just the same. Thank you, Sue Grafton for your unflinching gaze into the backwards relationship that can occur between a mother and a daughter, when the daughter has always been stronger.

francica's review against another edition

This book was a short story collection. While the stories were written well they were in my opinion too predictable. This is certainly not a favorite of mine.

jcbmathcat's review against another edition

Our mystery book club read this last month. I stopped reading the Sue Grafton "alphabet series" somewhere near the letter "J" and thought the short stories would be interesting.

The first group of stories involve Kinsey Millhone and are clever. Grafton writes a preface to these stories that involves the difficulties of penning short stories around murders. That was a nice set up prior to reading the stories themselves.

Following these, Grafton writes about her childhood and growing up with alcoholic parents. She is open about her experience, and this leads into a series of stories about Kit Blue, a child/young woman and her thoughts on growing up. These stories were written about ten years after the death of Grafton's mother. Kit is a younger version of Grafton.

Even if you don't read the Kinsey Millhone series, this book is fine as a stand alone.