Ruinsong, by Julia Ember

alex_nonymous's review

Sapphic witches is my favourite current YA niche trend and Ember delivers on them here. The angst! The drama! The longing! I was here for every second of it.

Ruinsong is told in the perspective of two girls, one who can create magic through song and one the daughter of a noble. Best friends in childhood, they find each other on opposite sides of a magical regime, with one being used as the tyrannical Queen's biggest weapon of suffering and destruction and the other being made to experience said suffering to try and save her family.

I love how unique the magic system, world, and villain motives were here! I do wish it was a tad longer but that has more to do with me wishing we had scenes of the main couple being cute and sweet since most of there scenes that start that way are cut off abruptly by the plot than actual pacing issues.

astridsara's review

the magic system is incredible but nothing else is

kelseygall19's review

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

adaslittleworldofbooks's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

troetschel's review

I absolutely loved this book! The magic system was super cool. The goddesses and their seasons and gifts were also super cool. I loved the worldbuilding, I thought the writing had some depth and interest to it. It's quite graphic - it literally opens with the main character committing magical murder - but it wasn't too gratuitous. I also appreciate that the author had a decent grasp on musical theory so there weren't any glaring issues talking about musical concepts.

I have one strong criticism, and that's the ridiculous way the author wrangled a particular infodump about the resistance. I found it very believable that Nolan would go charging into the palace in an attempt to save Remi through their 'betrothal'. I did NOT find it believable that he would do that while carrying an explicit and incredibly damning letter about the rebellion and their plans, and I found it even more ludicrous that he would sit with Remi IN THE QUEEN'S OWN ROOMS and infodumpincriminate himself, Remi's parents, and a number of others while also revealing important and valuable secrets. It was such a transparent tool to share information with the reader and I refuse to believe there wasn't a better way to have achieved that. It was distressingly obvious and it made me very, very frustrated, and it unfortunately soured me a tiny bit on the ending of the book.

Otherwise, a great sapphic dark fantasy with a tantalizing magic system

grey_jayne's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Beware, there is dog death and some vomit, but this shows how harrowing the emotional abuse dealt at Cadence is.  This is a dark sapphic story and Julia Ember knew the assignment. It's dark, it's romantic, with intense emotional stakes and perpetual danger.  It's glorious...and in a world where magic is sung!  I love both Cadence and Remi and their story is painfully yet beautifully queer. There's hope in the end, it's not all sorrow and tiny glances, and be prepared for singer mage battles while also their gentle healing magicks. Ruinsong is both complex and very real. So worth your time and attention.

whammajamma's review

dark emotional medium-paced

kaityanissa's review

An interesting story but a bit violent for me. Maybe it’s just me, but I just couldn’t get into it. The ending/resolution was the most interesting for me and the song magic was cool. I also did like the slow burn romance too, just, like I said, a bit too violent! 2.5 stars. ✨

annacochran's review

adventurous fast-paced

solboliv's review

Loved the magic system and concept, minus one star for the insta-love (even if it’s wlw).