Greywaren by Maggie Stiefvater

jessrussellthenerd's review

dark emotional hopeful reflective tense medium-paced

I really enjoyed the story but I felt like books one and two were the lead up and this was meant to be the most mind blowing adventure but it didn’t really kick off until the last 30-25% of the book. And then as much as possible was crammed into the ending. Don’t get me wrong, the epilogue was *chefs kiss* but I felt it was just giving us everything we wanted, just felt like a cookie cutter ending. Still, don’t want this series to end and hope this isn’t the end of our Raven Boys.

runfromreality's review against another edition

took me seven whole ass books to figure this out, but maggie stiefvater's imagination and i just don't vibe
glad matthew made it out alive, tho

tacanot's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

milfmarner's review

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

maggie stoefvater the woman you are

kludwig's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

skylerreads28's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny sad tense medium-paced

I think I’ll be screaming, crying, and throwing up about this one for a long time. Every Maggie Stiefvater book I read I think, there’s no way she can top the last one, and every Maggie Stiefvater book I read is better than the last. Her characters are so alive, they’re all so complex, and the books are so captivating and gripping.

starrydreamer's review

dark reflective sad tense medium-paced

minyardyke's review against another edition

everything you ever wanted is in this book. read it.

yeedledeedle's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

pachec_oh_no's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense

This was definitely a stronger book than the last two, but I'm not sure if that means I liked it or not. Stiefvater's writing in this series, especially books 2 and 3, has become very stylized and poetic (for lack of a better term), which in some places provides intense impact (such as the chapter of Ronan's which is just the same question repeated over and over. Real intense in the audiobook!) and incredibly distracting in others (every one of Hennesey's monologues). The series doesn't answer many of the lingering questions from the Raven Cycle. It doesn't address the sleepers, or the tree people, which were hardly explained at the end of the Raven King. A lot of the final action takes place in Dream Space, which, while cool, is very difficult to follow. The series has lost its tangibility that Stiefvater's imagery can concoct, and instead is a sort of fantastical mush of words and images that my mind sort of glazed over.

That said, I liked the final battle. I thought it was weird to bring back a guy who supposedly died in the first book, but I'm not really surprised considering the number of body doubles throughout the series. Matthew's "death" was just cruel. I almost cried. But then to have NO ONE lost from the main crew except Bryde and Lillian felt weird. I feel like there should have been stronger consequences for things like, oh I don't know, Declan going on a shooting spree? Adam losing himself in his scrying. Hennesey's... everything.

3/5 stars. -1 for a lack of continuity re: the Raven Cycle ; -1 for the overly poetic language that became a distraction.