Reviews for Mask of Shadows, by Linsey Miller

candidceillie's review against another edition

This was a really enjoyable read for me. Read my full review HERE!

meedah92's review against another edition

I wish i would have a better review for this book, sadly i started reading the first chapter and became disinterested almost immediately. Tried a second time and still i wasn't feeling the story or writing BUT good thing since i had Two ARCS one Physical and One Ebook i sent the physical one to someone who appreciated it more.

kkreads's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

acciocavy's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

vampyrizm's review against another edition

Mask of Shadows is about Sal, a thief who decides to enter themself into a competition for a place among the Queen's left hand, her group of personal assassins. The premise itself is pretty interesting, and I was really excited to pick up a book with a genderfluid main character, but honestly I found myself very bored. I had mostly made up my mind to push through it, but around the 70-75% mark I'd had enough.

At its core, I think the issue probably stems with the pacing of the novel. I listened to the audiobook and was genuinely surprised at how quick in the runtime we went from Sal being a thief to Sal deciding to enter the Queen's competition. We had very little time to care about Sal as a person or even gain a solid understanding of the world before introducing a change to set off the rest of the story.

For me, this greatly affected how I felt about later exposition and Sal themself. I couldn't really seem to care about what Sal was going through. Their burning anger about the state of their home country didn't resonate with me because I was barely introduced to the concept before it became Sal's driving motivation in the story. Everything I learned about Naveria (hopefully I'm spelling that right) felt ham-fisted, because all our info about Sal's character had to be tucked between meeting new characters and developing a plot, which I felt took away from getting the reader to feel like Sal was actually in danger during this competition.

Overall, it left me feeling very unmoved by everything going on, listening to the book was like putting on background music while doing homework.

mythmouse's review against another edition

Hmm. My feelings are... mixed? I’m on mobile right now and I think I’d need a computer to figure out why I was so disappointed by the writing style and yet still kept reading to the end (a lot of it is because I bought the book instead of checking it out from the library). So... R(maybe)TC?

asphaltcowgrrl's review against another edition

In a lot of ways, Sal is your traditional sort of hero/heroine. They’re from a poor background, attempting to find a better life while gaining revenge on the people who put them into that sorry situation in the first place. For Sal, this means eliminating everyone who had a hand in the death of their people. On the other hand, Sal is also not like any other hero/heroine I’ve ever run into because they are gender fluid and move easily between their male and female identities. Which, if you’re training to be an assassin, can be extremely handy.

Mask of Shadows is an exciting and entertaining novel, taking you through the auditioners’ trials and tribulations as they strive to become the next Opal. I hope that in the next novel we get to learn more about the world that Sal and their contemporaries are living in. What we learned in this novel only made me more curious about the history of their world. I will admit that I felt like the story dragged at times due to all the constant attempts on each other’s lives, but I also understand that was the entire point of the story as well. That said, all these incidents help highlight Sal’s intelligence and adaptability to the situation.

I’ve been a fan of fantasy novels for a long time and it’s always nice to find something new and refreshing to read. Something that isn’t like every other novel. Mask of Shadows gave me exactly that.

monkeysbecausewhynot's review

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

liz1004's review against another edition

Really great debut!

I enjoyed this one a lot, though the ending felt rushed and a bit confusing. Assassin books are my fave, so I'm interested to see where this series goes.