Reviews tagging Emotional abuse

She Gets the Girl, by Rachael Lippincott, Alyson Derrick

guidingkeys's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

lizziealex's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

It was… fine. I appreciate that the authors didn’t shy away from the word “lesbian”. Would have liked to have seen Molly’s relationship with her mom fleshed out better. Wasn’t a huge fan of
Spoilerthe way Alex’s mom’s alcoholism
was handled. If I ever read the word BookTok in a book again though I’ll cry.

Not sure why this is classified as YA, given that they’re both 18.

I didn’t see any of the cheating that Natalie was concerned about - Alex works for tips, so.

mattheo's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted

blackcatkai's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

CW: alcohol use, alcoholism, casual ableism, racism, emotional manipulation, toxic (parental & romantic) relationships

THIS IS THE CUTEST THING IVE READ THIS YEAR SO FAR. I cried, I laughed a LOT, it is heart-rending, adorable, fun, & so sweet. it deals with a couple heavy topics in ways that feel real & were handled well, in my opinion. I'd love a little bit of an afterword/epilogue with maybe a small time jump to where everyone's at a little bit in the future at the end of the book, but it's OK that we didn't get that. I understand, but still!

lindseyhall44's review

lighthearted fast-paced

I was so excited to read this book after seeing the lovely cover, and it was everything I had hoped it would be (and more)! Never in my life have I flown through a book so quickly, while wanting to savor every last minute.
She Gets the Girl follows Alex and Molly as they embark on a dating scheme to end all dating schemes. Both of them have their heart set on another girl, but maybe just maybe they’ll find themselves falling for each other in the process (You’ll have to read to find out).
One of the many things I love about this novel is the popular tropes which are intertwined into the plot and then promptly flipped on their heads. For example, fake dating elements are included into Alex’s five step plan, but are not as traditionally executed as in the typical format. This made the story feel so much more fleshed out and real, while still preserving the cheesy and predictable moments I know and love. The charecters are another aspect of the novel which really shine through, and even if I wouldn’t act in the exact same manner, I understood , sympathized, and loved them all the same. This paired with the college campus environment created a unique and special YA romance.
Overall, I would highly highly recommend checking out for your next read (check trigger warnings of course)

lolajh's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

Everyone shut the FUCK UP this was so fucking good. It’s a whole fucking book with the same energy as ‘How You Get the Girl’ by Taylor swift and Heartstopper but it’s about LESBIANS. Molly and Alex, two lesbians who are heavily based off of the wonderful married authors of this book and their love story (so fucking cute oh my god kill me) are very fascinating characters and do make an adorable couple, especially what with the slow burn and gradual pining that begins to develop over halfway through the book. Like them watching Wynonna Earp together, the dressing room scene, the roller skating date, the scenes in the library and at Molly’s dorm are so fucking cute. Also the fucking character development. These two make each other so much better independent from each other whilst loving each other on the way. Molly grows out of her comfort zone and faces her insecurities and anxieties about herself and how she thinks she is perceived by others, and Alex learns how to love others properly and emotionally and being vulnerable with them and herself about her feeling human emotions and not bottling them up as much. Also a plus: no coming out scenes! They both have major mommy issues though. The scene where Molly’s mum buys Alex clothes and makes her tear up fucking broke me! Also the pop culture references were lowkey tolerable only because of the Wynonna Earp references. Spot on dude. Jim is also lowkey an icon when he stood up for Alex when she was getting harassed? Go Jim!

megelizabeth's review against another edition

emotional hopeful medium-paced

"Some things have to fall apart because they don’t belong together, but some things belong so much they could never break."

I struggled to get into this at first, mostly because I wasn't really warming to Alex's character, but I started to enjoy it a lot more once the banter and tension started to develop between her and Molly, and this ended up being a pretty glorious opposites-attract, enemies-to-lovers, slow-burn romance. I found the different ways Alex and Molly each experience and cope with loneliness to be really fascinating, and I connected a lot with Molly's character and her anxiety and awkwardness.

I ultimately found this to be a great combination of a cheesy and heartwarming story and a sensitive look at several important topics, and while it's not a new favourite for me, I did end up enjoying it and I'd recommend it as much as a coming-of-age story as much as a romance.

imjustbeinghumble's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful sad medium-paced

aexileigh's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted sad slow-paced

adellabianca's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced