Reviews tagging Gaslighting

She Gets the Girl, by Rachael Lippincott, Alyson Derrick

mattheo's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted

lindseyhall44's review

lighthearted fast-paced

I was so excited to read this book after seeing the lovely cover, and it was everything I had hoped it would be (and more)! Never in my life have I flown through a book so quickly, while wanting to savor every last minute.
She Gets the Girl follows Alex and Molly as they embark on a dating scheme to end all dating schemes. Both of them have their heart set on another girl, but maybe just maybe they’ll find themselves falling for each other in the process (You’ll have to read to find out).
One of the many things I love about this novel is the popular tropes which are intertwined into the plot and then promptly flipped on their heads. For example, fake dating elements are included into Alex’s five step plan, but are not as traditionally executed as in the typical format. This made the story feel so much more fleshed out and real, while still preserving the cheesy and predictable moments I know and love. The charecters are another aspect of the novel which really shine through, and even if I wouldn’t act in the exact same manner, I understood , sympathized, and loved them all the same. This paired with the college campus environment created a unique and special YA romance.
Overall, I would highly highly recommend checking out for your next read (check trigger warnings of course)

adellabianca's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

librariangeorgia's review

hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

oh mY GOD

THIS BOOK

I want this to be a movie now.

Oh my gosh, I absolutely loved it!!

I never went to university but if I did, I’d totally want what Alex and Molly had. The progression of their relationship was so well written and I really enjoyed the ride.

I also really enjoyed their individual character arcs. Both of them finding themselves, realising what they want and then having the confidence to go for it. With them being polar opposites, I feel like every reader will find that they relate to one of them - for me, it’s Molly.

It was so obvious what was going to happen with the romance but it didn’t stop me from grinning ear to ear.

I want an Alex.

I highly recommend this book - even though it’s a YA, it didn’t feel like one.

Also, the authors are married! How cute is that!

onceandfuturereaders's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

I absolutely loved everything about this book, from the cover down to the acknowledgments by the authors (who are wives and based this off their own love story). I connected deeply with both Alex and Molly for different reasons: like Molly, I went to a school with a number of my high school classmates and struggled to make the transition from who I was in high school to who I wanted to be in college. Like Alex, I had to work and grow up a lot faster than a lot of my friends. I adored their chemistry, their friendship, and most importantly, how they helped each other grow. I also loved how they teased each other constantly, it just made me smile all of the time.

The roller skating date chapter may be my favorite chapter I’ve read this entire year. It’s cute and there’s vulnerability and I just loved every second of it.

If you enjoy any of the following, please read this book: hate to love, friends to lovers, college romances, the cutest date (seriously, they go roller skating and it is everything), and people finding themselves.

Please always check content warnings. This book does deal with things like how an adult has handled racism they faced in childhood, an alcoholic parent, parent abandonment, and gaslighting.

blueberryelf's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

elwirax's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

Rep- half Korean, lesbian MC, lesbian MC.

"Some things have to fall apart because they don’t belong together, but some things belong so much they could never break.”

She Gets the Girl was one of my most anticipated books for 2022 and I was not dissapointed.

This was really cute. The characters were very well rounded, they were flawed but realistic and the dual POV really fleshed them out. Both Molly and Alex had their issues to deal with (Molly struggles with her self esteem and building relations with people while Alex is scraping by and worrying about her alcoholic mother). Throughout the course of the book, they worked on these issues and helped each other grow and find what they truly need which was a great journey. I particularly related to Molly but I really liked Alex's character too (although the virgin shaming was a bit unnecessary). Their romance was a true (kinda) enemies to friends to lovers slow burn which made their relationship seem a lot more genuine and the great banter throughout made me love them more. I do wish we got more scenes of them as a couple though which would've really made me love their romance even more.

There was interesting commentary on the struggle to reconnect with ones heritage and coping with an alcoholic parent. While these were some pretty heavy topics they were discussed well. I do however, think that internalised racism was something that could've been discussed to a deeper extent,  it was mentioned a few times but didn't really go anywhere.

I get really tired of queer contemporary romance books where the main issue is homophobia. This book didn't do that which i really appreciated.

If anything I wish some of the side characters such as Natalie were a bit more fleshed out. I really liked Jim's character and would've loved to see a bit more of him. The writing was a bit choppy in parts but not glaringly so. As a whole, I really liked the casual writing style as it made it that much easier to stay invested.

Overall, it was great, someone needs to make this into a movie.

aliciarosales's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

I’m left wanting more. I need a second book right now.

sabradaz's review

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

amivireads's review

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

More YA novels need to take place in college and this book needs a movie.

Everything about this book was sweet, heartful and made me feel lonely. This is what I want when I ask for a sapphic rom-com, something that will make me smile but also feel so many emotions.

Both Alex and Molly are great complex characters, but I wish we had more of Molly and the story line of her internalized racism. There were mentions of it, but I wanted more in depth discussions on it.  Beside that, Molly reminded me a lot of myself, awkward with a lot of anxiety.

Alex on the other hand, felt like the breakout character and was given more growth; her storyline broke my heart.

Over all, everything about this book had me smiling and wishing I could have a love story like this.