alic_is_bored's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted sad tense fast-paced

honeybunchesofoats06's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

mattheo's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted

tinysierra's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

Queer lesbian joy!! :)
There’s no coming out plot or homophobia in this story. The characters seem comfortable with their sexualities.
There’s a small side character who goes by they/them pronouns.

I just love fluffy and easy to read ya romances (especially after reading some intense fantasy) so this hit the spot for me. The characters are definitely flawed and trying to work out their insecurities.

My dad struggles with substance abuse
Spoiler(a non fatal car crash inspired him to go to rehab as well)
and my mom is one of my best friends
Spoiler(we have boundaries though LOL)
so… you know 😂 Just throw some of my real life in there I guess.
Spoiler I do think that they kind of glazed over the mental health aspect of her mom being an alcoholic. Like, I don’t think that was given enough nuance. I totally understand Alex’s frustration over having to worry about her mom ALL the time. It is a struggle. On both parts. They only seem to talk about how Alex is struggling, but her mom is obviously having some mental health issues as well that are not explored. I believe they were trying to go for a fluffier story with some real life aspects thrown in like most contemporary books, but I think they missed the mark.

Molly is part Korean and there are discussions about connection / lack of connection to her culture and her moms internalized racism in the book.

There were a lot of references to current brands, popular food places, and social media platforms. I’m not sure how well those will age? Also not sure how I feel about the bimbo shaming? OH and I forgot about this part for a minute but Alex shamed Molly for being a virgin. I’m asexual. Virginity is a social construct. That comment doesn’t stand right with me.

If you like this book, I recommend:
-See You Yesterday by Rachel Lynn Solomon [Another really cute YA romance set in a college setting]
-Cool for the summer by Dahlia Adler [This book also has the pining-for-a-long-time-dream-crush plot.]

unablelemon's review

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

blackcatkai's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

CW: alcohol use, alcoholism, casual ableism, racism, emotional manipulation, toxic (parental & romantic) relationships

THIS IS THE CUTEST THING IVE READ THIS YEAR SO FAR. I cried, I laughed a LOT, it is heart-rending, adorable, fun, & so sweet. it deals with a couple heavy topics in ways that feel real & were handled well, in my opinion. I'd love a little bit of an afterword/epilogue with maybe a small time jump to where everyone's at a little bit in the future at the end of the book, but it's OK that we didn't get that. I understand, but still!

pluto_404's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

kimmykelly's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

aly_young's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad tense fast-paced

lindseyhall44's review

lighthearted fast-paced

I was so excited to read this book after seeing the lovely cover, and it was everything I had hoped it would be (and more)! Never in my life have I flown through a book so quickly, while wanting to savor every last minute.
She Gets the Girl follows Alex and Molly as they embark on a dating scheme to end all dating schemes. Both of them have their heart set on another girl, but maybe just maybe they’ll find themselves falling for each other in the process (You’ll have to read to find out).
One of the many things I love about this novel is the popular tropes which are intertwined into the plot and then promptly flipped on their heads. For example, fake dating elements are included into Alex’s five step plan, but are not as traditionally executed as in the typical format. This made the story feel so much more fleshed out and real, while still preserving the cheesy and predictable moments I know and love. The charecters are another aspect of the novel which really shine through, and even if I wouldn’t act in the exact same manner, I understood , sympathized, and loved them all the same. This paired with the college campus environment created a unique and special YA romance.
Overall, I would highly highly recommend checking out for your next read (check trigger warnings of course)