The Sandman Vol. 5: A Game of You by Neil Gaiman

xxfelixxreads's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad fast-paced

saaraa96's review against another edition

نه تنها سبک نقاشی های خودش عجیبه، اون آرت های بین چپتر هاش از همه چیز عجیب ترن.
تا ته این بمونه تا بقیه رو ادیودراما هم گوش بدم باهاشون.

kat_sanford's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

pizzamyheart's review against another edition

Not perfect, but damn this volume was good. It started off muddled. I didn't really understand what was going on. But that was part of the beauty. It was like being lost in Oz, or on an adventure like Alice in Wonderland. There were strange creatures and beings. Everything was up for grabs. Nothing made sense, yet it all made sense.

katu's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense

saraaras's review against another edition

Esta historia retoma el sueño que tuvo Barbie en “La casa de muñecas” (dos cómics más atrás).

El sueño es una fantasía muy al estilo de “Alicia en el país de las maravillas” que termina, como todas las historias, con Sandman intentando arreglar el caos que se ha formado.

Aparte del sueño tiene una historia muy emotiva y una parte macabra como nos tiene acostumbrados Neil Gaiman.

Cada vez me gusta más el personaje del Rey de los sueños, siempre intenta hacer lo correcto y el menor daño posible. Aunque aquí la protagonista es Barbie y su desarrollo vital desde que dejó a Ken.

Debo mencionar a la amiga de Barbie, Wanda, una chica trans que ya nos presentaron unos cómics atrás pero que en éste empezamos a conocerla como una chica valiente y a la que se le coge mucho cariño por como intenta ayudar a su amiga y lo que ha tenido que vivir.

No puedo ser objetiva con esta historia porque los dodos y los animales que hablan siempre me ganan, además de que las historias de fantasía/aventuras me encantan.

“Los finales son bendiciones contradictorias”

9/10

zarara's review against another edition

In the pale light of the Moon I play the game of you. Whoever I am. Whoever you are. All sense of where I am, of who I am and where I’m going, has been swallowed by the dark. And I walk through the stars and sky... a trinity of dreams beneath the moon.

I have mixed opinions about this one.

Sometimes you can really tell these were written in the 1990s because some of the language and illustrations just aren’t it but Gaiman’s really working towards fixing everything for the audiobook and Netflix adaptations and making it more applicable to the present day so I'm glad about that. But there’s definitely some problematic and stereotypical portrayals in here. On the other hand, most of Neil Gaiman’s work has extremely progressive representations of gender and sexuality considering this was mainstream 1990s media.

Onto the actual storyline: it was great to see some past characters in a more nuanced setting! I loved the whole idea of every person having rich, imaginative internal worlds. This also had the feeling of an inverted fairytale which I really enjoyed.

There was woefully little of the Endless but rather than the short unconnected stories in Dream Country this had a consistent cast of characters which made it so much better. I loved the dynamic between Barbie and Wanda (who absolutely did not have to die, I will revolt)- the concern Wanda had for Barbie was touching considering they haven’t even been friends for long. Then you had the rest of the chaotic apartment-dwellers. I really loved Thessaly’s characterisation: her dialogue was hilarious and genius and I really appreciated her sheer audacity (I totally understood why Morpheus fell for her):

George is in the bath. He’s taking a bath? He isn’t taking a bath; he’s in the bath. I killed him.

You’re a murder, you killed him! Sure. I told you that already.

Also, Neil Gaiman is sick for the amount of creepy dead babies in these comics. I am never recovering.

Overall, it was a bittersweet story that was satisfying in some regards but felt like it could have been improved. But I do agree:

We should take our goodbyes whenever we can.

duparker's review against another edition

Different than most of these stories, in that the focus of the story was, on a more casual level, linked to Morpheus. Overall I enjoyed the art and Neil created a fierce story.

amme's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

bjoernschneider1's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny mysterious reflective sad slow-paced