Jayber Crow, by Wendell Berry

emotional reflective medium-paced

adamsockel's review

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

jessieweaver's review

I can see how this is an interesting book, and I think it would have been a great discussion piece for my English major days. But as a post-collegiate reader ... I just wasn't into it. Not nearly enough action and dialogue for me. (I really WANTED to love it. Because Anne Bogel does. But I didn't.)

dragon_reborn's review

More philosophy than fiction, Wendell Berry gives a look into the life of Jayber Crow, the town barber. This book is necessarily slow to read, as almost each statement packs a punch of meaning and leads you into deeper thoughts on the themes of life.

This is the first of Berry's books that I've read and will definitely not be the last.

slieth's review

Currently reading for book study group at church. Update 3/6/11. Very thought provoking. I'll probably read some more Wendell Berry at a later date.

ckanderson's review

This book was a good one to read slowly. I liked the slow-paced and thoughtful writing, and the world he creates full of people that feel real.

kelseyb's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective slow-paced

bethanyam's review

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

marysee's review

I'm conflicted. I loved the first part of the book. Loved his descriptions of nature, descriptions of people and their lives, throughout the book. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

As the book went on, Jayber became increasingly self-righteous, doing what was right in his own eyes.

achwahoo15's review

I can't say I understand the hype surrounding this book. The story, what there is of one, is about a middle-aged bachelor who is in love with a married woman. Since he knows he can't have her in real life, but can't stop obsessing over her, he constructs this fantasy in which he pretends that she is married to him. This seems to me unhealthy and strange, bordering on creepy, and definitely not compelling.