Reviews for Yes No Maybe So, by Becky Albertalli, Aisha Saeed

katiewordsforworms's review

emotional funny slow-paced

thenarratress's review against another edition

Rating: According to my CAWPILE rating system it's a low 3 star rating.

I have thoughts on this book... give me a few days so I can bring then down to paper.

The book itself was okay. However, so far it's one of my least favourite books I completed this year. I liked that it has not an entirely happy ending in the end tho.

greenlivingaudioworm's review against another edition

“Things change slowly. Way too slowly, to be honest. But what’s the alternative? Not like we can sit back and do nothing. We have to fight for change however we can.”

4.5 stars

I'm writing this review about 10 days after I finished the book and the feelings I had while I was reading this book have not left me. This book was so much fun and just a perfect YA contemporary romance. I may be biased because I love just about everything [a:Becky Albertalli|7579036|Becky Albertalli|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1392414949p2/7579036.jpg] writes - she is perfect for fans of [a:Sarah Dessen|2987|Sarah Dessen|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1372181953p2/2987.jpg], [a:Rainbow Rowell|4208569|Rainbow Rowell|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1342324527p2/4208569.jpg], and [a:Morgan Matson|3351454|Morgan Matson|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1281591801p2/3351454.jpg]. I'll admit I don't know much about [a:Aisha Saeed|8106586|Aisha Saeed|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1396461507p2/8106586.jpg] but I couldn't really tell her writing voice apart from Becky Albertalli, which was a good thing, in my opinion. I don't particularly like reading books written by multiple authors where I can clearly tell who wrote one part because the writing style/voice is so different between chapters. I appreciated that this book felt seamless between both Maya and Jamie's perspectives.

Another thing I really appreciate about this book was the fact both main characters are diverse characters. In a publishing world that is still far too white, it was refreshing to read a book set in modern times with characters that represent American youth, fighting back against a government run almost entirely by older, white men. Although I know this book is fiction, it gives me hope to see today's youth getting involved with the political process and canvassing for a local candidate. Not even a presidential candidate, but a local one! That was incredible.

I was so invested in this story and watching Maya and Jamie's relationship develop through the course of the book and over the course of many Target trips. I was laughing, crying, and feeling all of the emotions along with Maya and Jamie. Absolutely superb writing and a book I will recommend to YA contemporary fans. This book would be fine for readers middle school and up.

“Time moves differently in Target. I’m not just saying that, it’s an actual fact confirmed by my mom. I swear, you can spend 20 minutes inside a Target and two hours will pass outside in the real world.”

t24h's review

relaxing slow-paced

bibliophilebree's review

funny hopeful informative lighthearted slow-paced

npavouris's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book for free in advance in exchange for an honest review.

This was a good book. I enjoyed getting the chance to read a YA book that had a strong muslim women as a main character. I found it really insightful and thought provoking. Overall the book was well written and had an interesting story. The book does focus heavy on politics from both a campaigning and policy perspective. This wasn't as interesting for an Australian reader as our systems are quite different to those of the USA.

I enjoyed the characters and would have loved to see some more interaction with the secondary characters as the focus was well and truly kept on the two main characters.

I think this is a great read for young americans as it encourages them to get involved in what they believe in.

whitney210's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this book. Cute, well written and timely. It's a great read especially for our Young Adults who are just getting into the voting process!

sunnielena's review against another edition

THIS WAS SO CUTE! THEY WERE SO CUTE!

One thing I love about Becky Albertalli collaboration books is that you can always tell who she is writing. I had never read Aisha Saeed but wow I instantly love her voice.

This explored such good topics from all parts of an election campaign and really highlighted the gas lighting that comes from a lot of officials. I really enjoyed all the aspects of this story, from the romance to the campaign to the bat mitzvah!

We love a book that shows how passionate teens can be about politics, things that affect their futures. Me friends and I were very politically aware when I was in high school and this book shows so many ways you can make a difference even if you aren't old enough to vote. I wish we had known more about how to help in our area when we were that age.

I wish we had just a little more though, the ending felt rather abrupt to me. Yes, all the plot lines had been tied up but it felt like I was missing 20 pages...

Thank you to Simon & Schuster AUS for providing me an ARC of this for review!

rjsthumbelina's review against another edition

A good read to binge while waiting for election results. Maya and Jamie were inseparable when little, but haven't seen each other in 10 years when Jamie knocks over a pyramid of tangelos in front of Maya at Target. They end up canvassing together for a state senate campaign and starting a movement against a discriminatory bill. Plus, of course, they fall in love. I liked the characters, and there was more plot than expected

cmhartjes's review against another edition

This was not only adorable, but I think it’s such a valuable book for young people to engage with politics and social change. It didn’t falter in its condemnation of Trump, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism, and right-wing hate in general. It skillfully addressed hard-hitting social issues while still striking a light, sweet romance that I was genuinely invested in. Maya and Jamie are two of the most wholesome YA characters I’ve read about, and part of that is because they care so much about making a difference. :)