Read Write Own: Building the Next Era of the Internet by Chris Dixon

dgonzalez617's review against another edition

Incredibly repetitive.

nrichtsmeier's review against another edition

hopeful informative fast-paced

maria_sevlievska's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

Non-fiction books often drag out, but I enjoyed every bit of Read, Write, Own.

It reads like a political manifesto for Web3 with Chris Dixon eager to excite the reader about blockchain and its potential to democratise the internet. He does a good job at explaining core crypto concepts, responding to recurring critique and detailing the technology's less familiar use cases.

I completely believe in an interoperable internet and loved the emphasis on blockchain's potential to open up the web.

A must read for anyone eager to envision what a fairer, better internet might look like (and idealists generally).

bentrevett's review against another edition

this was a good introduction to the uses of blockchain (it will not explain how they work at anything more than a high-level). it clearly separates out how the internet works into three types of networks: corporate (i.e. owned by big tech), protocol (i.e. a defined specification, mostly run by a consortium that has no real ownership of things built on top of it), and blockchain (i.e. defined by software and run/managed by a community). most the book is spent on how bad corporate/protocol networks are (ran by a dictatorship/cannot expand due to no funding mechanisms, respectively) and how blockchain networks solve all these problems. the only thing that irked me is how these blockchain networks are supposed to bring us to salvation and that their killer-apps are just around the corner, but blockchain networks have been around for over a decade now. there has been no killer-apps. the argument of them just being in their infancy and being ready to pop-off at any moment doesn't fit with reality. there are still just ways that people make some speculative financial gains. dixon's argument would be that i'm just not entrepreneurial enough and i just don't get it. i'll be happy to be proven wrong (and so will he, considering he's head of a16z's crypto arm and will make a lot of money if they do take off).

dgrstory's review against another edition

hopeful informative reflective medium-paced

llfcposterchild's review

informative medium-paced

bookishmillennial's review

informative reflective medium-paced
disclaimer: I don’t really give starred reviews. I hope my reviews provide enough information to let you know if a book is for you or not. Find me here: https://linktr.ee/bookishmillennial

Thank you to PRH Audio for the advanced listening copy of this book. I’m providing an honest review of my own accord 🫶🏽

I thought this was a very informational read that gives a lot of context about the different eras of the internet. We learn about the Read, Read-Write, and Read-Write-Own eras of the internet, which even though I was familiar with some of the tenets of each, I didn’t know the classifications and full history!

I’m a millennial so it was fun and nostalgic to look back on the beginning of the internet and my personal usage when the author mentioned apps or websites that are no longer as relevant in the social media lexicon of today. I also appreciated the movie references, like Back to the Future. I never thought about the fact that they have flying cars and yet still used pay phones😭 Dixon points out that we never anticipated the impact and power of computers and phones when thinking about the future. He provided really helpful examples and illustrations of this!

I didn’t think about the fact that when I play a certain game and buy items from that game, that I don’t “own” them, I am renting them because the game could be pulled from the app store at any time and I wouldn’t have access to those items anymore. It’s the same for Instagram — Instagram houses all of my posts and if they were to someday archive the app or needed my username, they could probably just take it. That’s terrifying & it got me thinking about creating my own website, so that I wouldn’t lose my own archive of book reviews!

I think this book is great for people who want to learn a bit more about what blockchain is, and to hear Dixon’s case for it as we navigate this read-write-own era. I certainly learned a bit more and think this is helpful as a foundational/introductory read to those concepts!