Magic Bites, by Ilona Andrews

adventurous dark funny fast-paced

hangrybookdragon's review

4.5 kick-butt stars!

rogue007's review

Kate is simply a bad ass. This book held my attention at all times, keeping me reading late into the night. Even though there was a tad too much description and things that confused me. Enjoyed the complex world building and the interesting spin on vampires. No pretty godlike creature here, that's for sure. Not sure how I feel about Curran for a love interest though, but I'd like Kate to have second suitor. Story was quite gory and bloody in most parts but I loved it. Moving on to the next book now...

harley_quinn's review

Retried this book hoping to finish it and I did. My original rating was 1 star. The reread Pushed it to a 2 1/2 star rating for me. Just enough to try the second book in the series and see how I like that one.

kkrez's review

I’m very mad at this book.
VERY MAD.

^ So mad that when typing that I spelled both “very” and “mad” incorrectly on the first pass.

Here’s the surprising part: I actually liked this book.
And now for the even more surprising part: I really hated this book.

Here’s how my general feeling on this book breaks down:
Characters: fantastic.
Dialogue: better than superb.
Plot: not bad.
Writing:

Shall I start with the bad and then get to the good? Don’t mind if I do..

I really annoying-white-girl CANNOT with the writing in this book. It felt like I was trying to compete in the 400 meter hurdles while running in quicksand.

So freaking painful.

My first grievance is that I spent MOST of this book really confused. I felt like I completely missed large sections of the book (which may be the case when you see my second grievance). I didn’t understand half of the magic rules and felt like I was dropped in the deep end and left to my own devices.

My second grievance with the writing is that there was at least a 3 paragraph description for everyone’s appearance. I legitimately fell asleep while reading these descriptions and it never ended. We'd meet a character and there'd be a full page of character description and then God forbid they have an outfit change because we won’t be able to forget it. We’ll get another 3 paragraphs on the precise shade of beige a dress is. Oops, spoiler alert!

Not only were the character descriptions out of control, in general, the “action scenes” had so much descriptive language that I was also falling into a deep reading coma during those. Those are supposed to be the most exciting, but the language didn’t adjust for what should have been a fast-paced, high energy scene.

This is why I’m so mad/sad.

The dialogue was amazing, anytime I hit a page of dialogue it was gone too soon. I would slog through the next 15 pages of descriptions and pray some dialogue would save me shortly.

I have lots of conflicting feelings about Kate. Kate is a piece of work, but, because I was just itching for something other than descriptions, I didn’t mind Kate’s pretty much constant bad moods. Post-book and after reflecting, I wondered why people even put up with Kate. She seems like someone who would get annoying really fast. Because I was so pissed off at the writing I didn’t mind her snarky quips because I was feeling quite snarky myself.

I did love how self aware Kate was. She was slightly vain and constantly thought she was too dumb to be doing what she was doing, which...

Now I know I just ripped this book apart for the writing, but I’m a plot geek at heart. And the plot of this book was really not bad. Another reason I’m so mad. It would have been made that much better if the writing had not pissed me off. But I do have to say I’m pretty unimpressed with the ending. Ok, actually...I’m thinking about it now, the ending was absolutely terrible. But all the other plot points were good enough.

I really want to think this series gets better because it has such potential. To be honest, I'm very nervous to continue reading this series. I just don’t have patience for these things anymore. But I know I’m sometimes in the minority for these things. If you’re willing to work for it, you will like this book.

stnky14's review

I could tell it was a first book, but will continue since the ratings are so good.

kaitlyn_bibliophilic's review

So much information were thrown at me it's confusing. My feelings toward this book is confusing.

sionna's review

7/14/16 Re-read as audiobook

3* -> 3.5*

Still not one of my favorite books ever and I'm not left with really wanting to know more but, it was so well done and there is so much love for the series I feel compelled to at least try the second book out.

I do love the dialogue but, I don't have much feelings towards Kate in general or any characters here really. Oh! Except the Kodiak.... for reasons unknown haha.
Also, the rules of the world aren't clearly defined and I wish I knew how the magic worked. Can anyone use it???

Seriously, once I get into the series more maybe I'll have more love for it.

rmwphd's review

Fun, fantastical brain candy. Not complex, straightforward, a little trope heavy, but a fun time.