The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi

mikime's review against another edition

adventurous challenging mysterious tense medium-paced

This one had it all. A brilliant book with a fantastic world-building, full of futuristic technological devices, systems and concepts (including exomemories, Time as currency, etc), fascinating characters such as the Thief, the Detective, a number of super-beings (gods/goddesses, Immortals, etc), aliens, monsters, robots and many many others, a few clever mysteries (including a locked room one, and another one involving chocolate), and old and new love stories (including quantum-entangled ones).
The reader is plunged into the world and into the story (and its jargon) with little explanation, but most of it is eventually explained and becomes clearer. The author juggles so many threads and elements and manages to satisfactorily untangle quite a few of them, keeping some more up in the air, ready for the sequels. This novel pushed so many buttons both in my brain and in my heart. Looking forward to seeing how the story continues.

atlifreysi's review against another edition

adventurous challenging mysterious medium-paced

skildi ekki alveg , ööööö

les þessa kannski aftur seinna

nvonhein's review against another edition

adventurous challenging medium-paced

This was bizarre and hard to follow but still managed to carry me along to the end. The twists were well set up while surprising, maybe because I was paying so much of my attention to just keeping up. The concepts were super interesting and I’m curious to see where the trilogy goes.

kasperrr's review against another edition

the book was amazingly written, but the physics were complicated so it was quite hard to understand.

i loved the characters and Jean's character development from lying thief to thief u can trust.

limeee's review against another edition

Var inte på humör.

curtissimo's review

Coming back to read it...

lisade's review against another edition

Liked it well enough. Ian Banks lite. Don't feel compelled to read any sequels

amnesiack's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book immensely, but I have trouble classifying it as "hard" sci-fi (as it was pitched to me). Perhaps the technology seems perfectly reasonable and science-based to someone with a PhD in string theory, but I found it difficult to regard most of it as anything more than tech-magic.

ztaylor4's review against another edition

As other reviewers have noted, this book had a lot going on. All together, I think that the rich world-building, thick with innovative futuristic technology added more than it took away. It seems like several negative reviews complain that the book is confusing, and they're probably right, but I think the challenge is worth undertaking.

The Quantum Thief was well-written, and well-edited. It navigates bizarre technology and social groups with ease. The concepts are thought-provoking and go in a lot of different directions. The book both sets up a series and serves as a complete and satisfying story on its own. Admittedly, I thought a few of the characters were a little bit bland and underdeveloped, but the main protagonists were solid.

I look forward to checking out the next installment before too long.

P.S. As a final note on the confusing terminology, I did look up a spoiler-free glossary early on because there are a lot of strange words. Using an uncommon word, like several that were drawn from Hebrew, might keep the audience from mis-imagining an unexplained concept, but this book might have gone too far. I got comfortable with tzadikim by the end of the book, but gevulot still feels weird despite having learned the ins and outs of it.

lorune's review against another edition

Ok read, but much of the tech in the book is explained way to vaguely, and there's 0 to no background as to how things got to be the way they are.

Bit disappointing