Lord of Scoundrels, by Loretta Chase

geo_ix's review

I loved it, it did feel a little long in the end but I wouldn't have removed a page from it if I'm completely honest. I'm glad EVERYTHING was settled. There's a slow burn in terms of love, but not lust, which made it super entertaining and just beautiful to read. Now Sebastian is a complete wanker, but I also understand why. He pretends to not care, but he very much does and I'm glad he was the way he was, insults to Jess and all. Although I was shocked at a lot of the things he said and did, I honestly forgave him for each thing he did, or ended up understanding the reactions and not caring. All it is is a man who was abandoned as a child being scared of abandonment, and he does unfortunately do the same to another person and it's heartbreaking to watch him realise what's going on and that he eventually has to fix his own mistakes not just pay his way out of shit. God. So good.

amechanuwu's review against another edition

emotional funny medium-paced

the heroine’s back must be aching because she CARRIED this book

a_ab's review

Well written, but ridiculously stupid drivel. A collection of some of the most dangerous and idiotic rimancy tropes and ideas in a story that didn't hold any water or follow any logic. The book was written in 1995, so I probably shouldn't judge it too harshly, but it is really, phenomenally, insultingly stupid. I am flabbergasted by the high rating.

weecha22's review

This was really good until the end. It goes a bit sideways and crazy but I’ve found that to be fairly normal in 90s era romances. I loved Jess and I wish heroines nowadays were as nononsense. She knew what Dain was doing and she understood his reactions better than he did. I loved how dramatic he was. It was hilarious.

ahyggelibrary's review

I wanted to give this book five stars, and I read it in two days! I loved the chemistry between Jess and Dain, and the way she captures their social events and excursions. If you're a fan of Pride and Prejudice, and can navigate adult themes, you might like this one. Personally, I couldn't help, but notice that it was somewhat precious how two male characters find comfort with the Madonna. However, there were some historical inaccuracies that made me like ???. (For instance, there was a reference to femme fatales, and that term didn't come up till much later in the 1880s). The frequent comparison to Dain as a demon (and a specific one too) also bothered me, even as an endearment. That aside, I did like Loretta's writing and entertainment wise, it was a good story.

jackelynvb's review

First of all, I want to say that I loved the main characters from this book, Jessica Trent and Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain, who she calls Dain.

Jessica is a spitfire who speaks her mind and isn’t afraid to tell Dain how she feels, a refreshing quality. She tells him exactly how much she wants him, which I loved.

“I’d heard all about you,” she said. “I thought I was prepared. But no one had described you
properly. I was expecting a gorilla.” She drew her index finger down his nose. “You were
not supposed to have the face of a dé Medici prince. You were not supposed to have the
physique of a Roman god. I wasn’t prepared for that. I had no defenses ready.” With a small
sigh, she brought her hands to his shoulders. “I still haven’t. Physically, I cannot resist you
at all.”

Chase describes Dain as a half-Italian brute with a big nose and dark, brooding eyes. I pictured him as Adrien Brody – I couldn’t help it. He’s one of my favorite not-your-typical-standard-of-handsome actors.

Dain grew up thinking he was ugly and detestable, so he has some deep insecurities that manifest as a resistance to love. Jessica goes to Paris to find Dain, who is dragging her brother down to the dregs of the city’s vices, leaving him to lose his money and senses. Jessica is stubborn and perceptive, and in spite of herself she falls for him from the first moment she sees him in a shop in Paris.

Read the rest of my review on my romance book blog at: https://blogeverafter.com/?p=211

oakashandthorn's review

God I loved this book!!! I think this might well end up on my favorites of all time list, it strikes the perfect balance between humor and real serious emotion, is incredibly sexy, and did a great job grappling with the damage done by Sebastian while also showing so much love and compassion for him. There was your standard gender role related weirdness that comes in like 90% of historicals but that’s to be expected and I’m not about to take points away for it. My only gripe with this book was some of the way characters talked about charity graves made me a little sad, she is objectively not a great person and she does get her happy ending despite it all as well but I don’t love disparaging talk about SWers so I could’ve done without that. All in all though this book did my heart so much good and I’d recommend it for pretty much anyone.

haewilya's review against another edition

I love this book! The banter is awesome. No melodrama, no gothic villain, no tropes (that I can detect. There was a misunderstanding but it was handled intelligently). And I like both hero and heroine! (except for some misogynistic views of the hero)

berls's review against another edition

4.5 stars. Lord of Scoundrels was such a fun read! It has to be one of the funniest historical romances I've ever read, but not without sacrificing a good story, great characters, and enjoyable romance. Full review to follow.

beccasmallzz's review against another edition

Initially wanted to give this 3 stars because Jessica was the only person/aspect of this book I loved.

I hated the MMC and there was nothing likeable about him so I'm reducing my ratings. I didn't even enjoy the story or plot, I just prayed for it to end cause I didn't want to DNF.