Filthy Animals, by Brandon Taylor

veeples's review

challenging dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

Brandon Taylor has a beautiful and invocative writing style, such so that even though for nearly all of the short stories we only stay with the characters for a short period, you can really feel and appreciate their emotional state. We're given just enough background to get an idea of the problems each protagonist has to care about them and how they struggle with intimacy and honesty with themselves and with others. While Taylor doesn't offer much in the way of resolution for many of these stories, each one is a snapshot of just how hard it is to find connection and the continuous struggle it is to find it and maintain it, and how easy it could be to lose it all entirely.

whalrl's review

** 3.5 stars **

A handful of chapters depicting a snapshot in the life of a handful of characters and how they are all related to each other in their respective struggles. Beautifully written with vivid imagery.

sorthe's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

eso1000's review

dark emotional mysterious sad medium-paced

jord_reads_books's review

Fans of Brandon Taylor’s Booker Prize–shortlisted debut “Real Life” will feel a sense of familiarity in his newest release, “Filthy Animals.” Much like that 2020 novel, “Filthy Animals” questions loneliness, trauma and intimacy at the intersection of mental health and personal suffering.

Read my full review at The Seattle Times:

bananabrandon's review

dark emotional medium-paced

clarie's review

emotional

hannahouston's review

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful reflective tense medium-paced

barbarabarbara's review

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

apalershadeofwhite's review against another edition

I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I would sneakily read in work whenever I could, I couldn't put it down! And I definitely didn't want to!
This collection is super insightful. Some of the stories and plot points are really uncomfortable and difficult to read, but not in a bad way. It made me think about a lot of things. It also made me grimace and gag, but let's focus on the fact that it made me laugh and smile as well